Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Robby Steinhardt (Kansas)

kidblast

Another legend has passed on

My wife and I and our crowd were huge Kansas fans

we drove from Leominster Mass to Cap Cod  Coliseum ,  had to drive back home  in a raging blizzard during the Leftoverture tour

That was insane, and I thought we would never make it back home...

but we did... 

One for the ages...  "My Lonely Wind Must blow.."

Edited by kidblast

13 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Sorry to hear this, Kansas are a great band although I've never had the opportunity to see them (as far as I'm aware they've never played in the U.K).

RIP Robby.

I saw them twice in the 80s, the Leftoverture and Power album tours and one more time after Robbie had  left the band,  when they toured with with Heart .  They were great live.  

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I saw them twice in the 80s, the Leftoverture and Power album tours and one more time after Robbie had  left the band,  when they toured with with Heart .  They were great live.  

I saw them 4 times and the very first in 1977 I was able to stand on stage behind them,  Still the most unique vantage point that I have had in around 300 concerts.  Robby was a great fiddler and a huge man...R.I.P.  you made a lot of great music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

Leftoverture came out in 1976.  
The tour couldn’t have been during the 80s.  

yes Brad.. you're right...  I did say 80s didn't i!!!  that was the cape cod show (Leftoverture)  you know what they say,, if you remembered the 70s, you didn't do it right

57 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yes Brad.. you're right...  I did say 80s didn't i!!!  that was the cape cod show (Leftoverture)  you know what they say,, if you remembered the 70s, you didn't do it right

I get those decades mixed up sometimes too.  The years between 75 and 85.  

23 hours ago, brad1 said:

Robby had a significant role in Kansas sounding the way it did.  His violin is what made Kansas stand out from a lot of other bands. Still does. 

Yeah, since Jerry Goodman left THE FLOCK I can't think of another rock band that had a regular violinist among it's personnel.  Oh, some might have one sit in for a tune or so( Like the Doobies and "Black Water") .  And Papa John Creach, who fiddled for Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna really wasn't a regular leaving both bands after a couple or so years.   Whereas Robby was not only a founder, but also the foundation of Kansas.

Whitefang

37 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, since Jerry Goodman left THE FLOCK I can't think of another rock band that had a regular violinist among it's personnel. 

Dixie Dregs is the only other one I can think of. If you haven't heard them you may want to check them out.  Steve Morse's first band. Southern, progressive rock, with a violin. I love it! 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, brad1 said:

Dixie Dregs is the only other one I can think of. If you haven't heard them you may want to check them out.  Steve Morse's first band. Southern, progressive rock, with a violin. I love it! 

I never really think of them as a "rock" band.  Rock bands don't ordinarily show up at the Montreux jazz festival.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 7/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, Whitefang said:

Yeah, since Jerry Goodman left THE FLOCK I can't think of another rock band that had a regular violinist among it's personnel.  Oh, some might have one sit in for a tune or so( Like the Doobies and "Black Water") .  And Papa John Creach, who fiddled for Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna really wasn't a regular leaving both bands after a couple or so years.   Whereas Robby was not only a founder, but also the foundation of Kansas.

Whitefang

Dexy's Midnight Runners and Cockney Rebel both had violin players in their line up.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Dexy's Midnight Runners and Cockney Rebel both had violin players in their line up.

Sorry.  Never heard of either.  And looking into it, found neither had anything released or that charted here in the U.S.  And my radio can't pick up any UK stations.  [wink]  So it's no wonder I can't think of another rock band that had a regular violinist among it's personnel.  [cool]

Whitefang

It's A Beautiful Day?

Larks Tongues-era King Crimson.

Curved Air....UK.....Family....High Tide....are some olde English names of bands wiv violin innit, m'lud.

Fairport Convention - not a rock band!  Loggins and Messina?:-k  ...hmpffhh! 

[wink]

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

In a couple of those, one was well known here(Crimson)  And another never reached the audience that Kansas manged to(Fairport Convention) . And Beautiful Day only chugs along with a slight cult following and their main(and only fiddle player) keeps busy with solo projects, none of which really go anywhere.   And in most cases the guy who played violin was multi-instrumental, and didn't fiddle in every tune.  (like Loggins  and Messina,  and Cimson).

But thanks for the info.

Whitefang