Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Gibson SJ-300

Hi, 

I am new and signed in to the introduce yourself section. I inherited 2 Gibson guitars from a dear friend that passed 6 months ago. He was a vintage guitar collector, and left me 2 of my choice from his extensive collection. I have posted one in the custom shop forum ( L-5 Wes Montgomery heart edition). The other as captioned is a basically unplayed SJ-300. I am trying to get some idea of value for insurance purposes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Pete

Gibson SJ300.jpeg

Looks like Gibson issued a couple of runs  of these.

Based on these  other two listings $4K though would look about right.

1996 Gibson SJ-300 CUSTOM > Guitars Flattop Electric & Acoustic | ALUMPSTER'S GUITARS (gbase.com)

Gibson SJ-300 Custom Rosewood 2006 Natural/Rosewood | Russell's Custom & Vintage Guitars | Reverb

You also, however,  have to figure in that insurance values are generally higher than market values.

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks for the info. One of the links is 3875 for one with a cracked neck. Then there is another one for 4495. I did at one point call Gibson and they told me that while not cataloged they would make one but would not begin to guess at what the price might be

OK. I took another look'

Here is another which sold for $3500.

Gibson SJ-300 2007 Vintage Sunburst | Musical Independence | Reverb

And here is another currently up for grabs for a couple of hundred more.

Gibson SJ300 Custom Shop 2007 Natural | Mike's Guitars | Reverb

Obviously a guitar in near mint condition would fetch a bit higher price.  

You might want to contact George Gruhn who does long distance appraisals.  His word is good as gold.

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Hey Sal, did you bother looking at that shop's other Bozeman-made Gibsons?  Lawdy have mercy, he has guitars in such as a Ren-built 1989 J200 Prototype.  I did not see one acoustic listed that had a price tag of under 5 digits.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:09 PM, zombywoof said:

Hey Sal, did you bother looking at that shop's other Bozeman-made Gibsons?  Lawdy have mercy, he has guitars in such as a Ren-built 1989 J200 Prototype.  I did not see one acoustic listed that had a price tag of under 5 digits.

I have... now!

Maybe it's the price of lumber...