Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar glue/leather residue stain

I'm looking to buy a les paul classic custom but it has some leather residue around the strap button. The owner says he had glued the strap button so it doesn't come out and some of the glue got on the body and when he put his strap on it left some leather residue. Wonder if something like naphtha would work.gueazzvtcrwfyidruzjr.jpg

Ech!

That's a straplock button I think.

Naphtha should work but go gently - perhaps use a wood toothpick or something similar (not metal) to chip it away as well as careful rubbing.

23 hours ago, jdgm said:

Ech!

That's a straplock button I think.

Naphtha should work but go gently - perhaps use a wood toothpick or something similar (not metal) to chip it away as well as careful rubbing.

looks like a dunlap locking strap button. if there is one at the bottom of the body too thats a good thing. nonlocking guitar straps can slip off while playing. protect that les paul

If the glue and leather remnants have eaten into or reacted with the nitrocellulose finish, no amount of naptha or other solvent (that doesn't harm the finish at the same time) will clean up the spot. It's perhaps best to give this one a pass or have the owner try it out on his own (he has probably already tried and failed, otherwise he would sell a cleaner one for more).

• 2 weeks later...