Gibson Brands Forums

g45 thoughts

soreeyes

had a g45 studio for a couple of months from new and still not sure if its a keeper, had 2 new saddles 16inch radius shaved to different heights, slight recut in the nut, the truss rod when i loosened made a big creaking sound like it was maxed out, so along with the saddles I have been experimenting on height and relief but its still tight to play, the string screech is the most annoying sound I have ever heard from an acoustic, I am sure there is a good guitar in here but damned I can find it, anybody else have these symptoms , no real humidity issue in the uk

I loved the sound of that same guitar when I played it in shops… 

Let me just share a story though. Almost three years back I bought a used J45 TV from a guy online. When it arrived the action was ok, but it buzzed on some higher frets. If the action  was raised, it was hard and tight low down. I was frustrated. I don’t have tools to measure neck relief, but I realized visually that the neck had too much bow.

I took it to a fantastic luthier, and they said the prior owner played with different saddles and the truss rod too much. My luthier first corrected the neck angle. Pretty straight. Then he cut a new saddle. Taller. Corrected nut slots. Filed a fret. Boom. Magic guitar that is a joy to play… effortless.

sometimes we on guitar forums read too much and think we can fix things that better craftsman should do. I am guilty of that at times, but less so nowadays. Take yours to “your guy” and let him mess with it.

my luthier has told me he had to expensively fix more broken truss rods and DIY stuff from idiots like me… I believe him. And he is t drumming up work; he has long wait times for work.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a G45 Studio last year and really liked it. It had none of the issues you describe, and had a pretty good setup from the store. I enjoyed it's dry woody sound a lot. I had to sacrifice the G45 and another guitar for a cross country move  we made last Summer. I figured I'd replace it after getting settled into our new place. Then they quit making them...

Sal's advice is sound advice. Sometimes another set of skilled hands is all it takes to find that good guitar hiding in there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, soreeyes said:

. . .  I am sure there is a good guitar in here but . . .

Good to hear that you're optimistic that there is a good guitar in there, somewhere. A pro setup can make a so-so guitar just such a joy to play that it becomes a fine sounding guitar.

17 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Let me just share a story though. 

Some wisdom acquired in that story.

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

Let me just share a story though. Almost three years back I bought a used J45 TV from a guy online. When it arrived the action was ok, but it buzzed on some higher frets. If the action  was raised, it was hard and tight low down. I was frustrated. I don’t have tools to measure neck relief, but I realized visually that the neck had too much bow.

I took it to a fantastic luthier, and they said the prior owner played with different saddles and the truss rod too much. My luthier first corrected the neck angle. Pretty straight. Then he cut a new saddle. Taller. Corrected nut slots. Filed a fret. Boom. Magic guitar that is a joy to play… effortless.

sometimes we on guitar forums read too much and think we can fix things that better craftsman should do. I am guilty of that at times, but less so nowadays. Take yours to “your guy” and let him mess with it.

my luthier has told me he had to expensively fix more broken truss rods and DIY stuff from idiots like me… I believe him. And he is t drumming up work; he has long wait times for work.

Thanks, that gives me some hope, I usually do my own set ups with no problems, but there is always one that won’t comply, right now she is playing fine, tomorrow the open b might be choking, good call on your part, thank you👍🏻

15 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Wise words!  A good repair guy is usually the best answer.   Unless you’ve got the skills, knowledge, and tools a lot of repairs belong in the hands of a pro.   I can change strings, slightly tweak a truss rod, and glue-down a pick guard, but beyond that I’m better off having it done by a pro.  I suspect that in most situations, a good setup will help make an “okay” guitar a great guitar that you enjoy playing.

Edited by MissouriPicker