Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson guitar polishing - gloss and satin finishes

OrdinaryNimda

• OrdinaryNimda changed the title to Gibson guitar polishing - gloss and satin finishes
21 hours ago, Karloff said:

I use plain 'ol Turtle wax in a can. 

That's a good habit to get into in order to avoid  getting  Shinola confused with something else you don't want to smear all over your axe!  [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 7:01 PM, sparquelito said:

71N8dWp3asL._AC_SS450_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm0NKnNbRNx7sNcJxvxjX

😐

it works just fine ... i dont use towels like that though. cotton tshirt material for applying the wax, cotton diapers for buffing.  plus I use the paste, not the spray.

Taylor uses Turtle wax on their guitars before they ship. not the satin finishes though. but there will always be the cork sniffers that have to buy "guitar polish" for theirs.  a little research never hurts. maybe inbetween your 10 to 15 paragraph posts, you can Google it. 

Edited by Karloff

6 hours ago, Karloff said:

it works just fine ... i dont use towels like that though. cotton tshirt material for applying the wax, cotton diapers for buffing.  plus I use the paste, not the spray.

Taylor uses Turtle wax on their guitars before they ship. not the satin finishes though. but there will always be the cork sniffers that have to buy "guitar polish" for theirs.  a little research never hurts. maybe inbetween your 10 to 15 paragraph posts, you can Google it. 

Carnauba is the definitely the way to go. 
I've been using the spray version of it on all my guitars for many years. 
Cars and motorcycles too, as you can imagine. 

I admire that you use the paste version of it. My only problem with the paste wax is that it can get crusted up in the crevices and cracks, and then I have to use a soft toothbrush to get it out of there.  Plus it takes a lot of work, and I'm getting lazy in my old age. 

I use terrycloth for buffing down the frets and any slightly corroded or dirty bits (like you tend to find when you visit pawn shops). 
In general, I am with you.  A soft cloth like a cotton t-shirt or bandanna is the way to go. 

Sorry I can't even muster four full paragraphs today. 
I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet. 

😐

• Haha 1

I use a formulae of  Beeswax,  Blue Lizard UV lotion,  Green Tea and dew collected from rosebuds during nautical twilight.   I apply it with an organic unicorn tail and buff it with a slightly used pair of Fredericks of Hollywood panties.   Then I shellac it with a motorcycle chain to apply mojo.  

• Haha 2

I started off years ago using Gibson brand cream guitar polish and an old dish towel.  I've lost track of the Gibson polish, couldn't find it again in any music shops, so I switched to Martin spray polish( which I got for far less than the cost of most car waxes) and apply it to both the body and neck.  Of the GUITAR!  [wink]   It really did nothing for MY body and neck! [biggrin]

I clean the fret board with Olde English wood cleaner, drying it with another old dish towel, and then treat it with Olde English lemon oil.  Just a small drop 'tween each fret wire, rubbed in with an unused corner of the old dish towel.   I go through this each string change.  Works for me.

Whitefang

20 hours ago, rct said:

Got rained out two weeks ago mid 3rd set.  I just let the White Tele and Black Strat sit out on the stands for a minute.  They are squeaky clean and fine.

rct

Agree.  A very slightly damp cloth removes most of the stuff if it's not allowed to build up to the grunge level.   You're not really cleaning, protecting or polishing wood - your treating nitrocellulose.  Except, of course on the fretboard and bridge.   So, I just use Gibson Orange Pump once a year.    

I'm guessing if you have rust particles on your strings, you'll be using the same cloth, because you won't care that much if the small particles scratch the body's finish. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'd never use a wax containing polymeric compound on any of my guitars due to the wax residue. For one thing, polyester, polyurethane, and acrylic lacquers (or any reacted system, for that matter) don't need it. And, I can't really see any tremendous benefit on an N/C lacquer, unless like rct, you plan to leave it out in the rain or play it in a sandbox..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree.  A very slightly damp cloth removes most of the stuff if it's not allowed to build up to the grunge level.   You're not really cleaning, protecting or polishing wood - your treating nitrocellulose.  Except, of course on the fretboard and bridge.   So, I just use Gibson Orange Pump once a year.    

I'm guessing if you have rust particles on your strings, you'll be using the same cloth, because you won't care that much if the small particles scratch the body's finish. 

Naahhh.  Strings changed following weekend.  Mine are never on very long.

rct

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Personally, I'd never use a wax containing polymeric compound on any of my guitars due to the wax residue. For one thing, polyester, polyurethane, and acrylic lacquers (or any reacted system, for that matter) don't need it. And, I can't really see any tremendous benefit on an N/C lacquer, unless like rct, you plan to leave it out in the rain or play it in a sandbox..

I was only half joking, they did sit out for a few while we scrambled to move amps and pa stuff.

I clean them with Dunlop 52 or whatever it is.  If none of that, I use SprayWay glass cleaner aerosol.  I've never understood the need to call out the National Guard to clean ones guitars.

rct

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Yes. I got that, and I laughed out loud.

Alright, good deal.

The ToneMaster Deluxe did sit under the slight overhang of the bar roof, and it got good and doosched.  It's fine.

rct

• Sad 1