Gibson Brands Forums

Noise gates...

Thundergod

Who uses them? I used to use a boss noise supressor pedal... then I got a rocktron hush superC and it was a lot better... (it was perfect). Then I noticed the noise wasnt that much, specially compared to having to carry a rack around... so I stopped using it (a year ago or so) and never looked back.

But I know noise gates are an integral part of some people's rigs... so, feel free to tell your experiences here...

I do live television, and I use them on my phone lines, but that's about all I would use them on.

Back when I did live concerts, I would often get feedback sometimes caused by the singer stepping away from the mic. Occasionally when this would happen, the other instruments would be picked up by his mic. Noise gates wouldn't do it for me so I rigged up a pressure switch to a rubber mat that triggered a channel mute when he stepped off of the mat. Worked flawlessly.

My very first pedal was a BOSS OD-20 Drive Zone (Twin Pedal), which had all the different models of overdrive and distortion. Great pedal to decide whether you like overdrive over distortion (or distortion over overdrive), but it was just too d...n noisy. So, I decided to get a BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor and it really did the trick. I'm being serious, with the BOSS NS-2 turned off I could hardly separate the actual notes from the hiss and everything (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the picture or sound, wtv). Now I use a BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive which doesn't make that much noise, and I think I could do without the BOSS NS-2, but I still use it because I just hate the hiss.

One love

I had a noisy gate once, I got rid of it cuz it kept waking my kid up, used to squeak like nobody's business. Seriously though, don't some of them have a limiter, i.e., they cut off before the sounds gone? My Digitech RP1 used to do that, and you couldn't adjust it.

Archived