Gibson Brands Forums

Need vocabulary lesson: Vibe, Mojo, EQ...

RudyH

I like to read guitar magazines and often see the words:

Vibe,

Mojo, and

EQ

used but I have never seen them defined. Can you help?

I assumed that vibe had something to do with the way a guitar sounds, but apparently it doesn't. EQ is equally perplexing. I used to think it was just bass+treble+a couple of other things, but it seems like a plastic concept.

Vibe - Before you play a guitar, it will give you an impression. That's it's Vibe. Sometimes it has to do with an era the style came out in, a Danelectro has a 50's Vibe, a Vox tear Drop has a 60's Vibe. Sometime it has to do with the Genre the type of guitar is associated with. Like a Jackson V will have a Metal vibe, while a 58 Gibson V will have more of a Blues Vibe. It may have to do with a player assotiated with the intrument, "Dude, your painted SG has a real Clapton Vibe"

Mojo - When you play the guitar, Mojo happens, or it doesn't. Play two Identical Les PAuls, and one will seem to feel better, or sound better to you. Its Mojo is working. But it doesn't have to be identical items. Like I believe fender Blue Back speakers (by Jensen) have more mojo that Celestions.

EQ - as fas as I know, this is still just an abbreviation for Equalizer.

mojo can also be an inherent coolness factor. Older guitars, with their nicks and scratches some times achieve this. The sound usually gets better with age and the fact that the guitar survived the years add to the equation also.

Vibe = a certain feeling or emotion something transmits...

example: Tie die T-shirt gives a hippy vibe... Smile on your face gives a happy vibe... Frown on your face gives a sad vibe...

Mojo = coolness factor

example: If a guy has tones of mojo he gets laid all the time... If a guitar has tones of mojo just holding it will get him laid...

EQ = short for equalization

example: To spice up the EQ (sound) of the guitar adjust as follows; add some Treble ( high frequency ), add some mids ( mid range frequencies ), and cut back on the bass ( low end frequencies)

I like to read guitar magazines and often see the words:

Vibe' date='

Mojo, and

EQ

used but I have never seen them defined. Can you help?

I assumed that vibe had something to do with the way a guitar sounds, but apparently it doesn't. EQ is equally perplexing. I used to think it was just bass+treble+a couple of other things, but it seems like a plastic concept.

[/quote']

Vibe - A feeling you get from something; usually used to mean a good feeling.

Mojo - Bullshit

EQ - Generally refers to the tone tone knobs on an audio device like a guitar amplifier. Might also improperly refer to frequency curve or frequency response.

The word Mojo refers to a magical charm bag used in voodoo, and in modern usage may also refer to sexual potency. The term was made popular as the source of Austin Powers' power.

That Karate kid bloke in the film Crossroads gets handed a small bag of mojo([-( Thats why he's an amzing guitarist :-$)

Its a Voodoo thang!

Flight959

Archived