Gibson Brands Forums

Advise on fake or real 2020 Gibson Hummingbird Original - Heritage Cherry Sunburst

bev84

Hello everyone,

New here, need some help to understand if the guitar is real or fake.

So, there is a guy selling 2020 Hummingbird for about $2000. He claims it is real and new. He sent me these photos I attach to the topic.

This guitar has an 8-digits serial number, which says it is built in 2020.

Anyway, if I decide to buy it, I'll go and look at the guitar. But it is 100+ miles run, so don't want to spend time and money travelling.

So, can you please help me. Which more photos can I ask him to make? Maybe you can see a fake from the first glance? In case I go and look at it, what should I look at first? 

Thanks in advance.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Just now, bev84 said:

Hello everyone,

New here, need some help to understand if the guitar is real or fake.

So, there is a guy selling 2020 Hummingbird for about $2000. He claims it is real and new. He sent me these photos I attach to the topic.

This guitar has an 8-digits serial number, which says it is built in 2020.

Anyway, if I decide to buy it, I'll go and look at the guitar. But it is 100+ miles run, so don't want to spend time and money travelling.

So, can you please help me. Which more photos can I ask him to make? Maybe you can see a fake from the first glance? In case I go and look at it, what should I look at first? 

Thanks in advance.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Looks good...what make you think it could be fake?    (I'm a fan of the honey burst 'Birds).

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Looks good...what make you think it could be fake?    (I'm a fan of the honey burst 'Birds).

The price (new costs about $4K here)

Serial number of 8 digits - is it ok for 2020 guitar? I read Gibson has 9 digits since 2005, maybe I'm wrong?

27 minutes ago, bev84 said:

The price (new costs about $4K here)

Serial number of 8 digits - is it ok for 2020 guitar? I read Gibson has 9 digits since 2005, maybe I'm wrong?

My 2020 Hummingbird has 8 digits. The 1st and 5th numbers will give you the year it was made ( Example: 24650335 will tell you it was made in 2020. ) That guitar looks much older than 2020 to me, I previously owned a honeyburst guitar in 2013. My new 2020 is heritage cherry red. Your however is not a Standard Hummingbird,  and the red lable and tulip tuners reveal this....Generally those guitars are higher in price than the standards when new.

Edited by ALD323

21 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Case is brown?

I have a brown case for my 1975 J-50.

They're doing the brown cases lately. What's the case look like for your 2020 60's J-50?

EDIT: oh, wrong guy- Boyd has the 60's J-50, yes?

Edited by 62burst

10 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

So far, I like everything about it.

I sure hope it's real.... have you asked the guy why he's selling it so cheap?

Not yet, will definitely ask, thx.

From conversation with him it seems he is not a guitar guy indeed, somehow got it, and now sells

Edited by bev84

1 hour ago, bev84 said:

Which more photos can I ask him to make?

Ask for a photo of the back of the headstock. Like from the first fret up. Gibson has always had heavy finish over the serial number stamped on the back of the headstock, but your Bird in question looks to have some funny business going on up there. 

Other than that, it looks like a legit Hummingbird with a nice Gibson honey burst. 

Edited by 62burst

It's certainly worth a 100 mile trip.  Impossible to be 100% sure from photos - but it looks genuine.  Make sure the s/n on the headstock is the same as on the orange label.   I wouldn't press him on 'why so cheap?', he may have second thoughts.  😀    The two streaks from the sound hole down are not uncommon, and they match due to the bookmarking.  Herringbone body trim and placement of the P/U control in the sound hole and the case are all positives.  G'Luck. 

Thanks for answers guys.

The seller is abroad now, promised to make more photos when he returns.

Strange thing - he says he lost original socket tool. Also, the reason for sale - he just needs money. Just a common f. off response)

Regarding color - it is cherry sunburst. I found a video with unboxing the 2020 Hummingbird with that colour, looks like it is the same?

Yes, will sure see it and play in person, will not order delivery.

Abroad for a work, it is typical here in Ukraine.

And it is also strange, because usually unqualified workers go abroad for a work. But unqualified workers usually don't own top-class Gibson acoustics.

Edited by bev84

Guitar looks authentic from the photos.  Serial number having 8 digits is correct.  First digit should be a 2 and the fifth digit a zero.  I bought a 2020 model new and the case is really more of a burgundy color rather than brown so don't be surprised if it looks more burgundy in person.  The finish looks more brown than a "cherry suburst" normally looks, but that could be just the lighting of the photos.  If it plays and sounds good - give him the $2000 and run like you stole it, because you did.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

So, I've travelled to the guy.

Guitar is genuine for sure. Very beautiful. And that amazing sound. And it is really new, smells paint.

There is a serial number on the back of the head. And 'Made in USA' stamped under it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JLjpXHT0ekHa-zcdNNA_LKkJ9zfcQFwY/view?usp=sharing

Serial number is the same in the sound hole

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aT5-NhUeqUbKlJojByY-UVFyJ30BWi3s/view?usp=sharing

And in the warranty card

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m_vpjWvv_Czranysc_yi8ubfsZDuxIBc/view?usp=sharing

Colour looks more like honey, but in the card it is cherry

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VTy5GTjtUtb7gmRzZz82nY7j83_xQ6rj/view?usp=sharing

Also it has accessories pack

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ns7EXmmcFsobhc9gWfY0jZDBUpHQdSx4/view?usp=sharing

Bag card

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1osEI_7pf8qRkqTUXEs-3cdP4MA0l6kHM/view?usp=sharing

And shop QA card

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mDyYtq8CQ8bAaYHTk-vtBSB2MtPGt3kd/view?usp=sharing

I bargained $100, so it costs me $1900. 

Thank you guys for helping finding this amazing thing!