Gibson Brands Forums

Advise on fake or real 2020 Gibson Hummingbird Original - Heritage Cherry Sunburst

bev84

bev84,  This is truly the happiest story I've seen on here in months!  Inherited pre-war Banner J45s is certainly inspiring to those of us who have given up finding one in a Pawn Shop, but you have landed a real keeper and player.  You obviously know  and love guitars to have found it, found out more about it, took the risk and snagged it.  CONGRATULATIONS !!    

(Not to mention -  talking down  $100 instead of asking  'why so cheap?' )

Edited by fortyearspickn

9 hours ago, bev84 said:

I bargained $100, so it costs me $1900. 

Thank you guys for helping finding this amazing thing!  

Dang!   That's an amazing price for a beautiful 'Bird!

CONGRATZ on the find!

Let's see a video of you playin'!

Thanks again, guys!

Gibson acoustic was my dream for several years. But $4K is a lot I think) They're expensive in Europe, and not widespread.

So this was a happy chance which I used.

Will make video in studio in nearest time, to record it normally.

14 hours ago, bev84 said:

Thanks again, guys!

Gibson acoustic was my dream for several years. But $4K is a lot I think) They're expensive in Europe, and not widespread.

So this was a happy chance which I used.

Will make video in studio in nearest time, to record it normally.

2k isn't chump change, but that sting will go away, and in time, you will not regret the purchase.  (how do I know??  See avatar..!!!)

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kidblast said:

2k isn't chump change, but that sting will go away, and in time, you will not regret the purchase.  (how do I know??  See avatar..!!!)

You're right.... I was wondering once when I was a kid if a purchase would be 'worth it'.

My dad once said to me, "You'll have $500 in and out of your hands thousands of time in your life, but if you buy that guitar, you'll never even think about the $500 you spent on it."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

You're right.... I was wondering once when I was a kid if a purchase would be 'worth it'.

My dad once said to me, "You'll have $500 in and out of your hands thousands of time in your life, but if you buy that guitar, you'll never even think about the $500 you spent on it."

exactly right.  you can't take any of it with ya, so you may as well find a way to enjoy what you can now.  Tomorrow, might be too late.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah.  You can buy stuff ... or you can invest in YOUR LIFE !  

Playing music is a big part of my life, in fact, I don't know who/what I'd be with out it...

if that's what you mean, then yes... 

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

Playing music is a big part of my life, in fact, I don't know who/what I'd be with out it...

if that's what you mean, then yes... 

Yeppers.   You can read books,  make birdhouses,  walk the dog ...  but you need to find something in life that makes you feel whole.  For many, it is something that involves self-expression.  

8 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeppers.   You can read books,  make birdhouses,  walk the dog ...  but you need to find something in life that makes you feel whole.  For many, it is something that involves self-expression.  

Spend a lot of time playing guitar or piano,, not sure what I would do with myself to fill those hours otherwise.  I don't think I'd like cross stitching  LOL!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Spend a lot of time playing guitar or piano,, not sure what I would do with myself to fill those hours otherwise.  I don't think I'd like cross stitching  LOL!

I suspect this is true for many of us on this forum.   I've spent untold hours playing guitar and piano.

Now that I'm retired, I usually play guitar 2-3 hours in the mornings before my wife gets up.

I'm counting on still being able to play piano (some) after the arthritis takes my guitar playing away.

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I'm counting on still being able to play piano (some) after the arthritis takes my guitar playing away.

I hope that doesn't happen bud...  keep em moving is what my Doc tells me...  so I do that..

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I hope that doesn't happen bud...  keep em moving is what my Doc tells me...  so I do that..

My doc says my thumbs are simply worn out!

I've lost the ability to play many chords....but I've been able to adapt!

The way I play piano, I don't have to 'pinch' my thumbs to my fingers.....so I'm good there!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

My doc says my thumbs are simply worn out!

I've lost the ability to play many chords....but I've been able to adapt!

The way I play piano, I don't have to 'pinch' my thumbs to my fingers.....so I'm good there!

I've got some minor nagging things in the knuckles but its not bad.

piano gives us some hope that we can continue on in some way,  but I know a few very good players, and they have "other" challenges we don't have wrt Arthritis

• Like 1

I never plan ahead.  But, I decided a couple of years ago that, because the 5 string banjo is less than half as difficult to fret as a guitar (no, not because it has one less string), I would start laying the groundwork for the day I could no longer play my beloved guitars.   Problem is - the banger weighs nearly 3x as much.   Ukulele is my SHTF backup.   I guess many of us here, like Danville, are finding our minds are getting more proficient musically, but our hands are heading in the other direction.  I try to appreciate every minute I'm playing the guitar, and not think anymore about the day when I won't be able to - than I regret the days (years) when I was 'too busy' to pick it up. 

On 8/5/2021 at 4:23 AM, kidblast said:

I've got some minor nagging things in the knuckles but its not bad.

piano gives us some hope that we can continue on in some way,  but I know a few very good players, and they have "other" challenges we don't have wrt Arthritis

image.png.481b550c161020c2ff8710e95618f264.png