Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-Caution contains non-Gibson guitar content. Viewer discretion is advised

RBSinTo

After searching for a Maple jumbo guitar that would not put me into the poorhouse, I was lucky enough to purchase a 2003 GAD jf 30, which is a Guild designed and badged instrument, built in China, somewhat I suppose in the same vein (being produced outside the US )as Gibson's Epiphones, and Martin's Sigmas. 

Before I bought it I was aware that the guitar had two cracks in the lower bout, and I did some research to estimate what the cost to fix them would be before the seller and I agreed on a price. 

A few days ago I received a call from the Luthier to tell me that the repairs were finished, but that he was not completely satisfied because the cracks were still visible, so to glue and cleat the cracks, touch up the finish, replace a broken interior strut, repair a ding on the back, adjust the truss rod, lower the action by adjusting the nut and saddle, installing two strap buttons, and changing the strings, I was charged just under $100.00 Canadian,  less than half of his original estimate.

Being a function over form person, for me the looks are much less important than the sound, which is big, loud and very bright.

My only regret is the gauge of the strings (12's) which I determined to be factory spec for this guitar. Next time I change them I'll get something lighter.

But I got a very nice sounding guitar, at an excellent price so I'm a happy camper.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Those Guild GADs are really good for the price.

We've got a GAD 30 and I like it better than my old Guild D40-NT (I think it's called) - a laminate with an arched back some sort of fake wood fret board.  I think it's  made out of recycled Richlite and particle board.

• Haha 1

I had a Guild when I was a kid, prolly a good one from Connecticut or wherever.  Haven't touched one in literally 40 years or more.  Haven't even really seen one, but I haven't been looking for one either.

rct

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Looks good - nice job on the repairs.  I never got along with Guild's narrow nut width and extra long scale but many that I've heard sounded really good.

Beware - putting lighter gauge strings on it will diminish some of that "big, loud and very bright" sound you are currently getting. 

Twang Gang,

On behalf of Darryl the Luthier at Cosmo Music who did al the work, "Thank you".

I too am finding the nut width narrower than I'm used to, but am playing my way to getting used to it.

Ditto with the strings currently installed. I'm begining to think that if I give them a few weeks, I'l be used to them.

And the sound is wonderful. Exactly what I wanted and expected.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1