Gibson Brands Forums

More cowbell

E-minor7

4 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

And some fancily braided string ends at the peghead that I haven't seen anyone do anymore since the 70s.

Oh sure - I actually do that all the time. Not for retro-romantic reasons, but to be able to tie the strings together if they break. 

Wonder how many guitars Browne has - can 100 do it. 

Here's another black one rather hard to identify. He does a lot of these duo-sessions from the 'office' and maaan they're good. 

• Like 1

When I started playing in the 1960s many of us coiled the ends of the strings.   It was either to avoid the little sharp ends jutting out which could stick you or to serve as an antenna to pick up cosmic vibes.    For me though the real treat that came with a Jackson Browne LPs was Dave Lindley.  Lindley's solo on "Running on Empty" sent more than a few in search of a lap steel.  

Those videos were great.  Able to hear the acoustics now and then, especially at the end.  Sort of creates a high water mark for what I"d like mine to sound like.  Of course more than half of the 'sound' is in the hands of the player.  True test is when I watch a video like these 2 - do I go back and watch again.  Yep !   Thanks Em7th. 

I use to keep my strings long and braided - because I hated getting stabbed by the B string when it was clipped.  I may go back...  I think I only changed to the cleaner cut look because 'everyone else was doing it.".