Gibson Brands Forums

Lack of Customer Service

Perry Mattingly

Consider it a learning experience. We have ALL had them. Some lessons are more expensive than others.

One big takeaway for you, though, is that nitro finishes are nothing to screw around with. There is a wide range of items and chemicals — from guitar stands to straps to capos and tuners to insect repellent to even some guitar cases — that will react with it, especially if it hasn’t fully cured. And by “react” I mean turn it soft, ripple it, etc.

Maybe take the guitar to a respected repair shop near you and get their opinion on what, if anything, can or should be done. Keep in mind, though, that many fixes involving nitrocellulose finishes can be costly and time-consuming. Your time is probably best spent just playing the guitar — and saving up for the next one.

Also keep in mind some of the old blues and folk guys made great music with beat-up plywood guitars. They would’ve killed for a J-15, warts and all.

The music is in YOU, not the guitar.

It is important to do a thorough Inspection when you buy a new Guitar.. Front, Back, Top to Bottom & inside…. As well as how it plays, sounds & is everything working as it should. Immediately If you find anything that doesn’t seem right you need to make a decision.. Return, Exchange or contact Factory for Warranty Repair… Then immediately follow through… 

Actually not much need to rush, the OP purchased the guitar from Sam Ash and they have a 45 day return policy. But it took three years for them to notice these issues.

Edited by Boyd

Update. Guitar arrived back to me. Although they said they only fixed pick guard, I noticed dramatic improvement on the back. Must have tried to buff out the blemishes. One is slightly noticeable to my wife, I can't see or feel it. The other near bottom is gone. Now as far as the yellow X, capo spot, magic marker, what ever that is, it looks worse. I can feel it and it feels rougher. My wife says it looks dull. Frankly, I'm just glad to have it back. I want to say sorry for anything I blamed Gibson for that isn't true. Not sure what that is because I do think it left the factory this way, butI LOVE this guitar, blemishes and all. I won't be purchasing anymore from them, but am not selling or trading this one. Guys get some D'Addario XS strings. I've always used the other most popular in the entire world string, but the store was out and I tried these. Never going back. Sustain out the A$$. Bright and loud. Elated with them. 

Perry