Gibson Brands Forums

You know it's bad when...

SteveFord

One bad idea deserves another.

This model is why there is a gap in my knowledge of Gibson electrics from 2007 until 2013, I couldn't take it no more.  A cross between an Explorer and a wooden rocking chair.

CqTni9R.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Haha 2

On 7/27/2021 at 2:58 PM, SteveFord said:

Gibson tells you to call for the price.

Don't think Santa will be bringing me any korina/limba wood models in this lifetime.

I thought the same when I saw the "call for pricing" line in the release. Like they say "if you have to ask you probably can't afford it"! 

I believe there are plans for runs of these in the USA line later this year. I doubt they'll be korina but even a mahogany version of a proper reissue would be cool (at a more affordable price hopefully).

The 'call for price' tactic is common, but I've never fully understood it. Or maybe I have?

To me it suggests this:

1/ It will give a salesman an opportunity to sell you something. 

2/ They can change the price as suits them without revision.

PS

I like the 'own up' weight relief on that Explorer

At least I didn't have to call them to say no thank you.

I always thought they got the original design right the first time and they've been screwing around with it ever since.

$1600, $1800 okay, that's reasonable.

$5800, $19000, no thank you, it's just a flat hunk of wood.

• Like 2

I don’t get on anyone’s case about what they spend their cash on. I have found that buying a used R9 isn’t that bad of an investment since I’m getting a ”discount”, have the cash, and if I had to sell (never have though) I’m usually not going in the hole too much. But paying for a new multiple thousand dollar guitar isn’t for me. So if someone wants to go the route of buying a new super-expensive guitar go for it if this makes you happy. YOLO! Again, not for me to buy something I’d feel terrible to ding, scared to play, etc all because it costs a ton. But there are people apparently that have a ton of cash where buying a Brazilian RW reissue let’s say isn’t that big a deal… Don’t know anyone like this, but someone is buying these guitars you have to call for the pricing I have to think. 

• Like 1

So far, I never paid more than $400 for a guitar.  But I only have two.  A near 50 year old Epiphone acoustic that was a gift so cost me nothing,  and a near 10 year old Washburn 12-string acoustic that cost $385 after the trade in of a Washburn 12-string I bought at a pawn shop for $200.   

Buying a multiple thousand dollar guitar wouldn't bother me, depending of course, on the guitar and how "multiple"  the $1,000 is.  [wink]

Whitefang

In past years, in most catalogs and online shopping sites, I would see, Call For Price or Contact Us For Special Price, but only on Rickenbacker guitars and basses. 
I just checked Sweetwater, and it's still that way. 

I never understood that. 

Guess what?
It kept me from even considering the purchase of a Rickenbacker guitar or bass. 

😗

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

In past years, in most catalogs and online shopping sites, I would see, Call For Price or Contact Us For Special Price, but only on Rickenbacker guitars and basses. 
I just checked Sweetwater, and it's still that way. 

I never understood that. 

Guess what?
It kept me from even considering the purchase of a Rickenbacker guitar or bass. 

😗

Rickenbacker is kind of unique in that they don’t appear to be interested in expanding their business. They basically operate at full capacity nonstop and seem satisfied with where they’re at. 

I can’t remember why they supposedly do their pricing that way but unless the seller is gouging you, the Ric prices are very fair