Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to figure out what model this SJ is

HODLmyToaster

I have a 2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo and the model number is "01547021" and when I look the serial number up it states its a "Southern Jumbo", I was assuming this was a TV or a NV Southern Jumbo.  However, when I looked those up online (ones for sale) it would state TV on the serial number. 

The interesting thing on this guitar, it came with a brown leather case and pink plush inside, Kluson tuners and has the "Gibson Banner" logo which makes me think this is not a standard Gibson Southern Jumbo. 

Can anyone point me in  this right direction?

j.peg.jpg

Does this make sense, , , , , , ,  remember tuners can be replaced.

http://www.nimitguitar.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=20412

Is there a decal on the backside of the h-stock ?

I have a Gibson J-45 (SN: 01528xxx) so a year later than yours. Mine looks basically the exact same as yours but with J-45 equivalent appointments (fretboard, pickguard, white butterbean tuners, adi top,  SN on the neck block rather than the back of the headstock), it has a bone nut and saddle from the factory

My guitar says, "J-45" on the label but according to Gibson is a J-45 TV. There's another forum member with a guitar in the same batch as mine. I think yours is of a similar run. Before Gibson released the True Vintage series of guitars they made a set of each model to those specs and released them without TV on the label.

So that's what i think you've got - an early run SJ-TV

The saddle brown case, banner with 1940's script Gibson logo does match with what Gibson was doing in '07, presumably the first year of the True Vintage series. As to what Emin7 was asking, re: presence of a sticker on the back of the headstock- my '07 J-45 TV did not have one. 'Fairly sure it also made no mention of "True Vintage" on the orange soundhole label. Yes, the tuners could've been swapped out. . . any evidence of that on yours? The D tuner looks to be slightly at an angle.

Also- on the more standard model acoustic guitars, Gibson just couldn't seem to resist putting some sort of electronics in them. The TV's were spared that fate. 

Some more info on the TV line here: 

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Does this make sense, , , , , , ,  remember tuners can be replaced.

http://www.nimitguitar.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=20412

Is there a decal on the backside of the h-stock ?

Just looked nothing on the back of the headstock, it doesnt appear tuners were replaced but that could be it

4 hours ago, jchabalk said:

I have a Gibson J-45 (SN: 01528xxx) so a year later than yours. Mine looks basically the exact same as yours but with J-45 equivalent appointments (fretboard, pickguard, white butterbean tuners, adi top,  SN on the neck block rather than the back of the headstock), it has a bone nut and saddle from the factory

My guitar says, "J-45" on the label but according to Gibson is a J-45 TV. There's another forum member with a guitar in the same batch as mine. I think yours is of a similar run. Before Gibson released the True Vintage series of guitars they made a set of each model to those specs and released them without TV on the label.

So that's what i think you've got - an early run SJ-TV

That's what I was thinking, it feels different than a standard SJ and it does have bone nut  and saddle and as far as I know there isn't a standard series SJ with the Gibson banner Headstock.

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

The saddle brown case, banner with 1940's script Gibson logo does match with what Gibson was doing in '07, presumably the first year of the True Vintage series. As to what Emin7 was asking, re: presence of a sticker on the back of the headstock- my '07 J-45 TV did not have one. 'Fairly sure it also made no mention of "True Vintage" on the orange soundhole label. Yes, the tuners could've been swapped out. . . any evidence of that on yours? The D tuner looks to be slightly at an angle.

Also- on the more standard model acoustic guitars, Gibson just couldn't seem to resist putting some sort of electronics in them. The TV's were spared that fate. 

Some more info on the TV line here: 

No evidence on tuners being replaced from what I can tell and the guitar didn't come with electronics.  

I have to think as well it was an early run on TV's, I bought it many years ago and just love the thing.  

53 minutes ago, HODLmyToaster said:

Not sure what's up with this forum, but even if I resize a pic its still a MF to upload : (

you need to host at third party site, and then post the link here,.  it's how it works on this forum

Agreed, I am assuming its an early TV SJ at this point.  I have never seen a standard SJ with a banner headstock, dunno its weird. 

I guess it doesn't matter what it is, I am just curious.  This is my ride or die guitar, have two but this Gibson SJ is a special thing. 

21 minutes ago, HODLmyToaster said:

I guess it doesn't matter what it is, I am just curious.  This is my ride or die guitar, have two but this Gibson SJ is a special thing. 

If this is the case everything's fine and you can sleep undisturbed. See the rest as fun-doodles on top of it all. 

And stay around with some guitar-stories. .

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

If this is the case everything's fine and you can sleep undisturbed. See the rest as fun-doodles on top of it all. 

And stay around with some guitar-stories. .

100%

By the way I did just google this, but couldn't find anything. Was there ever a Gibson era where they made SJ's with Tbars like Martin?

Just picked up an D-28 Authentic Aged 1937 and that is an unreal guitar, that and  my SJ are my favorites by a country mile. 

Nice thing about those two guitars you cannot really compare them, two totally different animals. 

1 minute ago, HODLmyToaster said:

100%

By the way I did just google this, but couldn't find anything. Was there ever a Gibson era where they made SJ's with Tbars like Martin?

Just picked up an D-28 Authentic Aged 1937 and that is an unreal guitar, that and  my SJ are my favorites by a country mile. 

Nice thing about those two guitars you cannot really compare them, two totally different animals. 

Wow - the D-28 Authentic Aged 1937 can be amazing - tried one recently and have a HD-28V. With those two you'll go all the way. . 

When you get technical overview here, post a comparison of the pair. 

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Wow - the D-28 Authentic Aged 1937 can be amazing - tried one recently and have a HD-28V. With those two you'll go all the way. . 

When you get technical overview here, post a comparison of the pair. 

Will do, what's the best 3rd party site everyone uses?

Here was a video I did between  the 37 and the HD28V, its hard to capture the differences VIA YT cause they compress so much but there is a "huge" difference.

I'll do one between the SJ and 37 though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HODLmyToaster said:

Here was a video I did between  the 37 and the HD28V, its hard to capture the differences VIA YT cause they compress so much but there is a "huge" difference.

I'll do one between the SJ and 37 though

Great to hear these ones side by side.

HD-28V with blanket (your term) - I'd say softer, slightly mushier, perhaps more woody, , , even warmer.

Authentic 1937 - fuller/louder, clearer, more crisp, , , but hopefully not to a degree where it gets sharp (which I was on the edge of experiencing when trying one in the spring).

Good idea to keep the old one and see where it goes sonically. It will tell you a lot about the 1937 too - in fact the proud dreads will speak loud about each other as long as you have them. 

Enjoy ^ Thx -                                                  , , , look forward to the next test.

7 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Nice video of the guitars. However, brutal camera angle for summer.

Did the seller of the SJ describe it as a True Vintage?

Good to hear you are feeling better

I think they did, but it  was so goddamn long ago and cannot recall.  What got me down this rabbit hole I recently played a SJ standard and it felt completely different and starting wondering wut da fug do i have 

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Great to hear these ones side by side.

HD-28V with blanket (your term) - I'd say softer, slightly mushier, perhaps more woody, , , even warmer.

Authentic 1937 - fuller/louder, clearer, more crisp, , , but hopefully not to a degree where it gets sharp (which I was on the edge of experiencing when trying one in the spring).

Good idea to keep the old one and see where it goes sonically. It will tell you a lot about the 1937 too - in fact the proud dreads will speak loud about each other as long as you have them. 

Enjoy ^ Thx -                                                  , , , look forward to the next test.

I don't think the 37 gets sharp, like the one I bought. You know how Martins are you  can play ten 28's and they  all sound different, thats why i wanted to make sure i snagged this one. Loved it too much, didn't want to drop the money but whatever.  I will I am not a fan of the relic guitar stuff, but quickly got over that. 

I can record this week! 

Do you want a video just on the SJ or SJ vs the 37?