Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Records

SG-12

I received the following Gibson email.  It is a good idea and very appropriate for the times to promote both new artists and the Gibson brand.

Reminds me when the Beatles created Apple records.

30760ad9-098d-ef9b-0d9e-0b7e79617594.jpg

Announcing Gibson Records
A New Record Label From Gibson
For the past 127 years, Gibson has been synonymous with creating and shaping sound across genres of music and generations of players. This week, we’re excited to announce the launch of Gibson Records, headquartered in Music City, Nashville, TN—alongside a strategic label partnership with BMG.

Iconic music that inspired generational movements has been recorded with Gibson guitars since the inception of recorded music. Gibson Records will work with Gibson artists to produce, record, and promote their music to fans around the world, spreading the power of their music, creating, building, and delivering guitar-centric music across genres to fans across the globe.

“Launching a record label that is in service to our artists is the natural evolution of our 127 years of history. Gibson Records will work with Gibson artists to capture, record, and promote their music under an artist-friendly partnership,” says Cesar Gueikian, Brand President, Gibson Brands. “Gibson Records will keep all of us at Gibson focused on our artist first culture that is engaged and connected to music. We are excited to launch Gibson Records, to announce that Slash is our first signed artist and that we have entered into a label partnership with BMG.”

????  

But, The Beatles weren't selling apples!  [wink]

I got that in my e-mail this morning too.  And if it does help promote new artists without any genre specific sounds or who fit the criteria of some demographic study I'm all for it.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

So they signed Slash.. A known Artist who is probably a multi $$$ Millionaire & signed by a label already..

What does that do for us?

No he has his own label......  He can do what he wants.

21 hours ago, SG-12 said:

I came across this video from 1969.  Very cool, or should I say groovy.  It's only 1:25 minutes long, but gives a good description of what MC5 was all about.  A salute to you, Whitefang!

Mc5 live at West Park in Ann Arbor, Michigan 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFmYDi_Ivs

Yeah, thanks.  Takes me back.  Dig Denny, the drummer,  who I used to live across the street from.   What tickled me was that the stage they were playing on closely resembles the bandshell in Memorial park in their hometown of Lincoln Park, MI.   That place has had some local bands play on it over the last couple of decades,  and could only be seen on "public  access".  [wink]  Usually what I call that  "Cookie monster death metal" crapola .   :rolleyes:

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What’s the point of spending a ton of money signing guys who are already famous, have their own labels or are already signed? 

Exactly!  I’d love to see them do something like NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert, focused on average, unknown folks who perform one or two songs with their Gibson guitar.  I’ll be very surprised if it happens, but it would be cool if it did (but again, I doubt that it will).

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Exactly!  I’d love to see them do something like NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert, focused on average, unknown folks who perform one or two songs with their Gibson guitar.  I’ll be very surprised if it happens, but it would be cool if it did (but again, I doubt that it will).

Like I stated previously, I'm all for that.  Most people already know the long established artists that use Gibson instruments, so showcasing talented unknowns who also use them is not only a good showcase for promoting new talent,   but also for promoting Gibson as not only a maker of good instruments(they hope)  but also philanthropic enough to help up and coming artists.  Having a "company with a heart" rep never hurts.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, Whitefang said:

Like I stated previously, I'm all for that.  Most people already know the long established artists that use Gibson instruments, so showcasing talented unknowns who also use them is not only a good showcase for promoting new talent,   but also for promoting Gibson as not only a maker of good instruments(they hope)  but also philanthropic enough to help up and coming artists.  Having a "company with a heart" rep never hurts.  [wink]

Whitefang

Yeah, doing something like this could get them on the news, along with increasing sales.  I think a lot of guitar pickers would be talking about it.   

On 7/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Good idea.   Deering Banjo (one of the top brands in terms of quantity and quality) does something similar. About once a month.  Not just a 'concert',  but talking about the music and the instrument.   Gibson won't go that route.  More likely to offer a free pair of Levis to anyone who buys a $3K guitar.   The records will probably be in 45rRiPM.

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I think the "records" part of the name is just for market effect.  Most of their stuff will mostly just probably be available for "streaming and download".  And of course, for a nominal fee.

Whitefang

Yep!  Just follow the money!  It would be so easy for them to do something “grassroots,” that the average guy would automatically identify with.  Someone who plays bars, wineries, coffeehouses in their own area talking about their Gibson and playing some Cash, Dylan, Lovin’ Spoonful, Baez, Lightfoot.  Doesn’t have to be real technical, although Gibson could supply that at the start.  The rest could be the “average Joe” doing a couple songs and telling what why he loves playing his Gibson.  I would watch/listen to that.

Edited by MissouriPicker

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I think the "records" part of the name is just for market effect.  Most of their stuff will mostly just probably be available for "streaming and download".  And of course, for a nominal fee.

Whitefang

I forgot to use my sarcasm font. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, but that was back when they used to MAKE "records".  [wink]  Perhaps if someone developed a "smartphone" that could play both CDs and vinyl they'd STILL be doing it.  :rolleyes:  But....

God forbid Gen Xers and Millennials should get off their phones to do something so stupid as to listen to music off of a quality medium.  AND quality sound reproduction components.  [blink]

Whitefang (resident curmudgeon) 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, but that was back when they used to MAKE "records".  [wink]  Perhaps if someone developed a "smartphone" that could play both CDs and vinyl they'd STILL be doing it.  :rolleyes:  But....

God forbid Gen Xers and Millennials should get off their phones to do something so stupid as to listen to music off of a quality medium.  AND quality sound reproduction components.  [blink]

Whitefang (resident curmudgeon) 

An ITunes download is much like a Record in the sense it’s a Product you buy.. So, they’re today’s Records so to speak… I agree that MP3’s are nowhere near the Audio quality of a Vinyl Record or a CD in WAV format.. But, buying today’s Records (Downloads) from ITunes & their Competitors should be equal in High Fidelity Sound to Vinyl or CD’s… Then you got something worth buying.. Even though it’s invisible.. which kinda sucks! Albums were so Cool!

I listen to Sirius when I drive & the Sound has gotten so bad! The Compression is so bad! The pumping is driving me nuts! My new 2021 Silverado doesn’t have a CD Player.. I was told they don’t put CD’s in most new Vehicles anymore. Everybody Streams…… I need to buy a USB CD Player designed for Vehicles! Any recommendations are appreciated..

Thanks,

Larsongs 

Edited by Larsongs

“BMG congratulates Gibson on the launch of their new label and is proud to collaborate with Gibson Records on its inaugural album release,” says Thomas Scherer, President, BMG Repertoire and Marketing, New York, and Los Angeles. “This is the perfect match between two global brands with an unrivaled reverence for iconic artists and respect to service their creative talents. We are excited to be the worldwide partner for Slash’s new album with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators and look forward to delivering their new music to fans everywhere around the world.”

23 hours ago, Larsongs said:

An ITunes download is much like a Record in the sense it’s a Product you buy.. So, they’re today’s Records so to speak… I agree that MP3’s are nowhere near the Audio quality of a Vinyl Record or a CD in WAV format.. But, buying today’s Records (Downloads) from ITunes & their Competitors should be equal in High Fidelity Sound to Vinyl or CD’s… Then you got something worth buying.. Even though it’s invisible.. which kinda sucks! Albums were so Cool!

I listen to Sirius when I drive & the Sound has gotten so bad! The Compression is so bad! The pumping is driving me nuts! My new 2021 Silverado doesn’t have a CD Player.. I was told they don’t put CD’s in most new Vehicles anymore. Everybody Streams…… I need to buy a USB CD Player designed for Vehicles! Any recommendations are appreciated..

Thanks,

Larsongs 

I haven't kept up with that market for a long time.  Not since I had the Blaupunkt  after market cassette player put in my '95 Olds Silhouette.  Not knowing where you are( supposed to be a secret I guess) I'm almost sure there are several after market car audio outlets  that can help you.    That '95 Olds is long gone(along with the tape player, Sony amp and Cobalt subwoofer) And the '05 Equinox I drive still has the standard CD player that came with it.  It doesn't work properly, and I need to get off my duff and get it fixed.  

Yeah, I miss albums too.  One of my adolescent and mid teen pleasures was coming home with a new LP, putting it on my player and lying on my bed reading the "liner notes".  And cover art was SO much more striking on a 12" X 12" album cover than a 51/2" square jewel case.  [cool] Or maybe only seen on a 3" or less screen on a phone.  :rolleyes:

And how many "boomer" kids aged 13-16, despite maybe NOT really liking the music, bought THIS album just for it's cover?  [wink]

[flapper] Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

I’ll have to call a couple Car Audio shops & ask… But, new Vehicles are all going to USB..

My Dealer is looking for After market USB CD Players.. Waiting to hear what he finds.. I’m looking too.

The Chevy Dealer told me that there is no market for CD’s anymore because the majority of People listen to Sirius, Stream or have Playlists downloaded on their Phones & play them through the Infotainment Systems in their Vehicles… Most Manufacturers aren’t offering, or about to end offering them on all Vehicles.. Which sucks..

The Album Covers & all the stuff they included were definitely part of the Coolness!

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

“BMG congratulates Gibson on the launch of their new label and is proud to collaborate with Gibson Records on its inaugural album release,” says Thomas Scherer, President, BMG Repertoire and Marketing, New York, and Los Angeles. “This is the perfect match between two global brands with an unrivaled reverence for iconic artists and respect to service their creative talents. We are excited to be the worldwide partner for Slash’s new album with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators and look forward to delivering their new music to fans everywhere around the world.”

Hmmm....Slash is Gibson's global product ambassador (or whatever they call him) so it ties in with that....and what could be cooler for a LP player than to have your album come out on the Gibson label?

[wink]