Gibson Brands Forums

Kirk Hammett joins Gibson roster

Pinch

nothing against the guy, I think he's a really good at what he does,  nor even against Gibson for what they do wrt to these endorsements,

but,  I just don't see how any of this really matters except free guitars for Kirk..  that he don't need.

Maybe I'm just having one of those "get off my lawn" kind of mornings.

• Haha 1

Many of these companies do this.  Some have a separate page with lengthy lists of anyone who has ever risen above the fray.   It's just marketing.  Some get 'spokesperson' level endorsers they feel will lend 'authenticity' to their marketing.  Guitars are cheaper than race cars.  (That affected my retirement hobby decisions.) 

Sure.  A guy with a good fan base from a band with that same base is a good bet to entice impressionable young 'uns to buy product.  ie;  A guy I knew in high school sold his Gibson SG  and bought a Stratocaster.  Sure, they're good guitars, but he got it only because Hendrix played one.  :rolleyes:

It's just like that other peeve of mine.   Guitar makers that market fat bodied, archtop hollow guitars as "jazz" guitars.  When it's clear that when some notable jazz guitarists ply their trade on other type of guitars, like ED BICKERT,  who used a Telecaster.  Jazz can be played on any type of guitar, just as more than just jazz can be played on what makers call a "jazz" guitar.  

And since some of the greatest blues guitarists used a wide variety of different guitars( Vaughn with a Strat; Buddy Guy too;  B.B. with a variety of "Lucilles" ranging from a 400 to the modified 335 he used till the end and several others using LPs) there's really nothing that can be defined as a "blues" guitar.  

And what about all those country drawlers who play(probably for free) Takamines?  They became part of their uniforms, as much as all those matching cowboy hats.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Kirk seems like a very nice guy, but I don't think of him as a Gibson player after all those years with ESP. 

But it's not my company. 

that was my other thought..  (ESP, and Hammer)

I also recall that he was part of the fold some time ago,  and now for better or worse, they've relit the flame under the partner ship.  Maybe I'm making that up??

hey, like I say, I wish the guy well,  he's a well respected player IMHO,  and if Gibson believes there's an ends to the means with these relationships, then they know more about this stuff than I do.  

But when it comes to enticing 15 yr old's who have Kirk as their hero to buy a KH Signature Les Paul, lets face it, Gibson USA products are not exactly flooding the market with a price point these kid's parents will find easy to manage.   Epiphone, maybe,, Gibson USA, nope.

young people play sub-$1000 fenders, old bastards buy Gibsons, so they'll keep taking these rock gods outta mothballs and try to not get them confused for the proprietors of the Women and Women First bookstore. Agnesi is a great guy and knows guitars inside and out, but in no way is he trying to appeal to anyone under 35 with any move he or Gibson marketing have made. 

Could be the other way around you know.  No, he doesn't get free guitars, he pays dealer cost + X%, used to be 5%, may be more, may be less now.  Of the two things here it would seem that Kirk would gain more by being associated with a mainstream guitar company than the other way around.  Seems.  I could be wrong, but maybe he initiated this, move on to the next thing in his life, next steps or stages of his guitar career.  It's not like Metallica is a household name these days.

rct

• Confused 1

Good point!

If they send me the royalty checks I'll even buy a Metallica album.  I want the one where the little kid has nightmares about Freddy Kruger or whatever that was on MTV decades ago.  Here Comes The Boogeyman (hide under the blankets)?  Something like that.

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Good point!

If they send me the royalty checks I'll even buy a Metallica album.  I want the one where the little kid has nightmares about Freddy Kruger or whatever that was on MTV decades ago.  Here Comes The Boogeyman (hide under the blankets)?  Something like that.

Yeah, we do that one every once in a while.  Onea them songs where the crowd likes hearing the riff as much as I enjoy playing it.

rct

• Sad 1

Used to like Metallica until I learned how much if a bunch of rich DBs these guys were. Besides, three are a lot more “real” metal bands out there that make me want to break s*** instead of their washed up crap. Megadeth > Metallica all day long fellas, all day long. And besides I’m more of a Testament or even Pantera guy. F Metallica and their Load a**es. Go Reload somewhere else. Yeah the hate runs deep in me. Kirk is a tool who is really not a great lead guitarist IMHO. I can name some much, much better metal lead guitarists that have been releasing crap as long as Metallica and I can still listen to their old stuff. Not Kirk’s though. I hate Metallica’s riffs, their leads, and ESPECIALLY Lars’s drums. Rant over haha!

Oh yeah definitely not interested in Kirk’s sig crap. Now Mustaine’s V… different story. I don’t buy guitars associated with guys in bands that put male ejaculates on 2 album covers expecting me to like it. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

If someone who has attained enough status to use his name recognition to sell something and make a little extra cash -  no one can stop them - or the thousands of marketing weenies lined up to sign them up.    Look at Shaquille O'Neal - he's on TV every 5 minutes selling cars, pizza, pain meds, et al.     If a pro guitarist has a brand or model he has used for decades, which helped him gain his fame and fortune, and which is associated with him already -  he would be silly not to 'endorse' it and get paid.   Gibson's new  CEO -  James "JC" Curleigh,  who cut his teeth selling Levis to what he believes is the same demographic group -  would sign up Shaq if he thought it would sell guitars.  

I will admit, Kirk is admired by many still.  I being an older Metallica fan still haven't gotten over the Load, Reload, and St. Anger stuff.  I feel like the trauma lives on, haha!  I have non-existent memories of being in the court room answering, "With the doll, tell me where you were touched."  But yeah, I don't care if he's part of the sig collection or how much his guitars will cost.  I just expressed my feelings of how I cannot feel the same about a band I admired more than life itself back in my youth.  Die hard metal fan here,  but I like other genres too.  IDK, it's complicated...  I just cannot listen to Metallica anymore - the band that inspired me to play metal and learn leads on guitar.  I remember the day all of us metal heads got the new long-awaited Load after hearing everything from Kill 'em All to the Black album.  4 years later... Load...  It hurt then and the pain still lingers, haha!  I think I need therapy... 

• Haha 1

Sure appears so Chris.  [wink]

Look, I don't know much about Metallica save for the fact that nothing I've heard from them ever appealed to me. But that really doesn't mean I think they were no good.  Just that their music didn't catch my ear, so to speak.   You can't knock success, although you can question  how that success could have been possible.  And there's a lot of music out there I like that people I know and love can't stand and vice-versa.  One example,  one of my closest friends just LOVED that tune "Rock On" by David Essex.  I could never stand that POS.   At the same time, HE could never understand why I liked to listen to that classical music "crap".  [cool]

What I don't get Chris, is how you can dismiss ALL the music that a band you claim to have loved made.  or still makes.  Another "for instance".

Me and some friends "discovered" The Mothers Of Invention back in '67.  Became BIG Mothers and Zappa fans.  And over the years, Zappa has proved himself to be not only a giant in musical creativity, but also a giant self centered and opinionated prick.  But don't think this means I can't listen to "Freak Out"  or "Apostrophe" any more.     Other bands I liked either no longer exist or otherwise changed not for the better.  But I'm glad I still have their earlier stuff to enjoy from time to time.  

Whitefang

• Like 1

@Whitefang it’s complicated and really the dismissal comes from “graduating” to some real heavy flipping metal that Metallica just got too big and mainstream for me to dig their style. That and me playing their stuff on my guitar for years while listening to their albums constantly. Like I said, Load was the turning point for me to wonder just why… Metal bands I loved along with them back in the day got heavier while Metallica was shooting Loads on everyone haha! Megadeth sort of tried to get more commercial like Met, but Mustaine came to his senses and kept it real. I learn to favor Megadeth much more later in my post Met days. Like I said, it gets complicated. 

But on topic, good for Kirk I guess. Don’t wish these guys to die or anything bad, just that I don’t have the passion for the band like I once did growing up. 

Edited by NighthawkChris