Gibson Brands Forums

Dryer sheets work

Mr. Gibson

On 8/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

My rosewood tele was crackling  every time I touched the pick guard, grabbed  a dryer sheet and rubbed the pick guard all over and it actually worked. Who said I was wasting my time here sure was wrong. Lol.

Dryer sheets usually work for static on plastic pickguards. They frequently don't work for static on the finish on the back of the guitar body/neck (and if they do work for that problem, they don't work for long). 

I experienced this problem with a Telecaster pickguard. I permanently fixed it by covering the back of the pickguard with a thin copper sheet which I connected to ground. There are actually copper shielding sheets already cut out in the shape of a telecaster pickguard etc last time I checked (which was admittedly a very long time ago)

You could do the same thing with copper shielding tape available at stewmac

dont be confused by the fact that I mentioned “shielding”. I’m not talking about shielding from noise interference. I mean by connecting the conductor to the pickguard and grounding it you give the static charge a way to constantly dissipate rather than build up and pop

6 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I experienced this problem with a Telecaster pickguard. I permanently fixed it by covering the back of the pickguard with a thin copper sheet which I connected to ground. There are actually copper shielding sheets already cut out in the shape of a telecaster pickguard etc last time I checked (which was admittedly a very long time ago)

dont be confused by the fact that I mentioned “shielding”. I’m not talking about shielding from noise interference. I mean by connecting the conductor to the pickguard and grounding it you give the static charge a way to constantly dissipate rather than build up and pop

There's a trick.

Another one:  make sure where the Tele pickguard curves around the front edge of the little plate the switch and kn0bs are on doesn't touch the metal.  So get in there and xacto it or dremel or whatever you kids are using these days and get some paint between the pickguard and that plate.

Another one:  Tubing for the pickup screws, not springs.  Isolates the pickup from any static buildup in that pickguard.

That's all I got. 

rct

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, rct said:

There's a trick.

Another one:  make sure where the Tele pickguard curves around the front edge of the little plate the switch and kn0bs are on doesn't touch the metal.  So get in there and xacto it or dremel or whatever you kids are using these days and get some paint between the pickguard and that plate.

Another one:  Tubing for the pickup screws, not springs.  Isolates the pickup from any static buildup in that pickguard.

That's all I got. 

rct

You’re ma boy blue

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I had the same problem with a 96 Strat. I was getting static noise badly. 
You don’t need copper shielding.  I used regular aluminum foil. I just coated the entire backside of the pickguard with it.  Glued it on. 
Problem solved. And has been for 12 years.  

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I like the little nodular cracklings with a hit of tabasco 

Here's something you might(or might not) know....

THIS is what "Mama's li'l baby" originally loved before "Shortnin' bread."  [wink]

Whitefang

I've done this for decades. The subject of static has come up on forums before and when I mention a dryer sheet, people think I'm nuts.  The only guitar I typically need to use them on is my '77 Tele. I was told the laminated pickguard is more prone to static than one layer vinyl. Can't say. All I know is that it will pop like mad unless I give it a rub once a month or so.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, rct said:

Giorgio and Childress are on the H right now, I see Giorgio I think of you bro.

rct

I haven’t watched for a while and I need to re-educate myself on the TRUTH. My wife has been reading me some stuff from some Australian ufo report file thing that is excellent

9 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I've done this for decades. The subject of static has come up on forums before and when I mention a dryer sheet, people think I'm nuts.  The only guitar I typically need to use them on is my '77 Tele. I was told the laminated pickguard is more prone to static than one layer vinyl. Can't say. All I know is that it will pop like mad unless I give it a rub once a month or so.

Well nothing succeeds like success. Works like a charm.