Gibson Brands Forums

j200 bridge details

handpicked

Ah, yes . . . the "Heritage" bridge (below, from a Reverb posting 6 years ago) :

aMYCONo.png

eNvkski.png

Is there enough evidence of the your old bridge's footprint on the top to at least get you started? 

Doing intricate work on rosewood is no easy task- I can only imagine trying to make the  moustache-style bridge instead. It would probably cost me a fingertip or two.

EDIT:   Also- would the standard practice of placing a straightedge across the top of the frets, & seeing where it contacts the top of the bridge  give an ideal top-of-bridge height, assuming that the neck angle is correct?

Edited by 62burst

The only Gibson bridge I have had replaced was made by my repair guy who wanted to go with one made from his stash of NOS Braz rosewood.  But it was a simple rectangular bridge.  I have seen replacement bridges for Doves albeit  without the inlay which should have the same footprint.  If you go with a pre-made replacement of any kind though you might want to remain mindful of the string spacing.  

this is a project guitar. the neck is off of the guitar as it does need a neck reset. I am concernd about the proper bridge height. the one in the ad above that was 6 years ago is only 1/8 tall in the center. that just does not make a dam bit of sense to me. martins and pretty much everything with a belly bridge is 3/8 tall in the center yeilding a 1/2 string height from the body with the saddle installed.

I am inclined to stick with these dimensions but wanted to check on this Gibson site that someone might measure theirs for me.

15 minutes ago, handpicked said:

Seriously! Nobody?

I guess nobody has that particular bridge. There are J200 owners on this forum, including me, but mine has a mustache bridge. I have a dove, but I’m not sure they would be exactly the same. 

36 minutes ago, handpicked said:

Thanks for responding. I hope someone in Gibsonland can come through with the proper measures

I seem to remember Jinder have a J-200 with this bridge? I could be wrong about that. He’ll probably check in at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

That looks like a good one Dave.  I owned a ‘70s Dove long ago, and it came stock with this bridge (in ebony, iirc).  It’s essentially the same footprint as the ‘70s J-200 and Heritage Custom bridge.  Clearly, the footprint is not that of the more common & traditional Dove bridge as seen in current production.

Edit note:  I should say the outline shape is the same, but edge surfaces have been rounded & softened considerably.

Edited by bobouz

15 hours ago, Paul14 said:

I seem to remember Jinder have a J-200 with this bridge? I could be wrong about that. He’ll probably check in at some point.

I have a Dove with the ‘70s style bridge, I can measure it but the only caveat I would add is that mine is a replacement bridge that was made by a luthier for the previous owner when (presumably) the standard Dove style bridge failed and was replaced, so it’s slightly oversized to my eye. Happy to measure if that helps, though!