Gibson Brands Forums

Issue with my J150 side

thefirewalker

Hi all I got a brand new 2021 J150 from a local dealer.

When I first saw it I noticed the issue on the bass side as shown in photos.  It’s not crack or broken. But it’s like a long dent along the side. You can see the reflection is different along the red line I drew.

It’s barely visible but one can definitely feel it when touched.

The dealer also noted that so I enjoyed a slight further discount. Sound wise and structure wise I have no complaint.

I am just curious what went wrong down the production line. Was that too much pressure applied when they clammed the guitar or…?

Any discussion welcome :)

04D3263B-8BF4-4A74-A268-6973BBEF8A26.jpeg

22D2F077-6C04-432B-AD70-EE16CCAEB525.jpeg

You're right, it doesn't show up well in photos . As to why there would be a dented line in the sides that you can feel by touch I have no idea. It's probably not a feature. It wouldn't hurt to ask Gibson themselves (and report back here).

Edited by Leonard McCoy

3 hours ago, golfski said:

I posted about this on my new Noel Gallagher J-150, assuming you have the same since that's the only J-150's I'm aware of releasing in 2021.  I was told on my post that this is normal, I've learned to love all this character on mine!

Is that the “price of NG J150” one? I checked that post and noted the various “mistakes” they had on delivering the guitar.

I am loving mine too although I found it a bit heavier than I expected. Perhaps thats because I have been playing J45 and this is the first Gibson jumbo guitar I own.

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

You're right, it doesn't show up well in photos . As to why there would be a dented line in the sides that you can feel by touch I have no idea. It's probably not a feature. It wouldn't hurt to ask Gibson themselves (and report back here).

That’s probably my next move haha

I am not a professional but I have played for years. This is the first time I note this issue on an acoustic guitar, let alone a Gibson one….

4 hours ago, thefirewalker said:

Is that the “price of NG J150” one? I checked that post and noted the various “mistakes” they had on delivering the guitar.

I am loving mine too although I found it a bit heavier than I expected. Perhaps thats because I have been playing J45 and this is the first Gibson jumbo guitar I own.

that was my post about the same issue, it looks kinda like dents on mine but it’s the whole way around.  

I had picked up a SJ-200 prior to this so I was surprised how light the j—150 was! 😂 

It never even occurred to me that, when bending a stiff piece of wood, or anything, the material has to stretch on the outside of the curve and compress on the inside - so it is going to prone to the ripple effect.   Like folding a pair of jeans - you'll get wrinkles on the inside of the fold unless you take care to smooth them out.  Harder with wood !!   

On 8/24/2021 at 7:26 AM, fortyearspickn said:

It never even occurred to me that, when bending a stiff piece of wood, or anything, the material has to stretch on the outside of the curve and compress on the inside - so it is going to prone to the ripple effect.   Like folding a pair of jeans - you'll get wrinkles on the inside of the fold unless you take care to smooth them out.  Harder with wood !!   

Also keep in mind Gibson developed their sunburst as a way to hide flaws in the wood , historically the blonde (natural)guitars had the prettiest wood because you would be able to see everything. With a sunburst you can shade things to darken certain imperfections in the wood .

JC