Gibson Brands Forums

deleted thread - self inflicted.... truss rod / luthier

uncle fester

hey folks,

looks like i accidently deleted my thread on luthiners / truss rods etc...  i guess that's what that button does.  It's too bad I was appreciating the input.  Regardless - sorry about that, and thanks to all who contributed.  Freakin' buttons.

uncle fester

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Damn, uncle - things like that happens. Maybe you could report it and get the thread revived. The staff has shown excellent service before. 

Is that a VW-bus in your avatar ?

Thanks EM7, i've contacted the moderators.  Either way not a huge deal, but it did have good info.  And yes my avatar is a little scrap wood art, and I carved out the semblance of a VW bus.  It was in oak... oak is not super easy to work with in a carving manner but it's a fun little bus.

xLU6gsH.jpg?1   9LieGVW.jpg?1

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Thanks EM7, i've contacted the moderators.  Either way not a huge deal, but it did have good info.  And yes my avatar is a little scrap wood art, and I carved out the semblance of a VW bus.  It was in oak... oak is not super easy to work with in a carving manner but it's a fun little bus.

xLU6gsH.jpg?1   9LieGVW.jpg?1

I love that!  

• Like 1

Do not get me going on VWs.  I drove my last bus into 2005.   This one was a work of art - started with a '71 (l wanted the hatch in the back) into which I put a '73 engine on which I stripped off the fuel injection and went with a carb and a remote mounted fuel pump.  Problem was I moved and had no way of towing it and could not find any who were willing to cart it out for me.  So I left it with a friend which turned out not to be the brightest move I have ever made. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, love the VW bus'...  seems like ZW actually lived the life.  My wife just had to get a new car, and the cost to get something that would fit 3 boys and 2 dogs had us looking at old VW bus' and seeing if we could restore one.   We didn't go that direction, but kind of wish we did.  

Here's a picture of a set up from a local musician that drives a bus.  Just plain cool

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 2

Hi everyone - I just wanted to report back where I landed on this...

The buzzing has gone away without doing anything, but it leads me to believe the weather changes have been having a bigger effect on the guitar than I wanted.  I had been trying to manage the humidity in the room I keep the guitar, but I wasn't doing a great job at it.  So I've settled on casing the instrument at night and using the d'Addario humidipaks in the case to keep the humidity stable in the 45 - 50% range. 

I just received the packs yesterday so expect it will take a little bit for things to stabilize, but once it does stabilize, I'm hoping it eliminates (or at least minimizes) changes due to climate so the whole adjust the truss rod, change shims on the bridge etc... stops being a thing of concern.   

Interesting, question about truss rod adjustments leads me to humidity control - good input here.

Thank you Dave.  Yes I saw they had the ones to use as a kick starter, but not until I was reading the literature on what I ordered.  I figured what i have can only move it in a positive direction, so going to give it a couple weeks with these and then check them.  If they wear out quick, I'll consider trying the kick starters.

My angst is not playing my J45 for a few weeks while I let things adjust.  I've got other instruments, but none as nice as my gibby 🙂

39 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Thank you Dave.  Yes I saw they had the ones to use as a kick starter, but not until I was reading the literature on what I ordered.  I figured what i have can only move it in a positive direction, so going to give it a couple weeks with these and then check them.  If they wear out quick, I'll consider trying the kick starters.

My angst is not playing my J45 for a few weeks while I let things adjust.  I've got other instruments, but none as nice as my gibby 🙂

I wouldn’t let it stop you from playing it.  Just case it when you’re done.  No need to torture yourself unnecessarily.  

I’ve had good results with with the humidipaks and have them in all my cases, though I leave my guitars on hangars.  I only use the humidified cases when winter hits and the heater drops the humidity drastically.