Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Black J45, early 60s

jmayojscc

Do any of you guys know anything about Custom ordered J45s in all black, with white binding? I inherited this from my grandmother, after envying it all my life. I'm not really a Gibson guy (always played Martins), so I don't know much about J45s. I've never seen a J45 like this one, even after countless web searches. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3399947009/

Do any of you guys know anything about Custom ordered J45s in all black' date=' with white binding? I inherited this from my grandmother, after envying it all my life. I'm not really a Gibson guy (always played Martins), so I don't know much about J45s. I've never seen a J45 like this one, even after countless web searches. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3399947009/

[/quote']

Assuming that you mean a roughly 40-year old J-45, then - yes, some all-black J-45s were made in the mid-to-late 1960s. As I understand it, though, these were produced with a white pickguard with the word Gibson imprinted on the pickguard. A few limited runs replicating this model were produced by the Bozeman plant in the early 2000s.

The one in your photo is shown with a tortoise pickguard rather than a white 'guard.

That is a beauty. I'm deeply envious!

It was, as Shrimer said, not uncommon for black J45s to be produced in the early '60s. Most were painted black in order to disguise an ugly grain pattern in the top, or similar, so that an otherwise perfect guitar could be shipped and sold without people complaining about the manky grain.

Don't let that put you off, though...she looks like a player, through and through :-)

Thanks for the info. Here is a picture of the label:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3401706584/

And here is one of the truss rod cover, which says "Custom." Note also the bite marks from a dog my grandparents had:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3401705610/

The serial number, on the label and on the back of the peghead, is: 108506. I havne't found a website yet with a description of dating Gibson serial numbers, but I haven't really looked all that much. My grandmother said it was 1962 or 1963.

Just for fun, here's one of my father holding the guitar when it was brand new and shining bright (long before the dog tried to eat the head stock):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3401721036/

If it didn't make me feel sick, sick, and more sick at my stomach, I'd post a few with the late 50s/early 60s sunburst Strats the he used to play. He was actually a cutting edge rockabilly guy here in Jackson, TN, childhood friends with Carl Perkins. But every time I think about what those strats would bring these days, I just try to act like he never had one. I really don't want to think about it!

Plus this is a Gibson board, and I wouldn't want to upset anybody=p~

Oh, what the heck. Here are a couple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3401393465/

One more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmayojscc/3402197944/

That looks to be a unique ebony J-45. They did make a black J-45 with a white pickguard also red with white pickguard around 67, 68. These guitars had the narrow neck. This does not look like that run of guitars. The neck looks wider like a 63, the label is also unusual for a J-45 as is the custom truss rod cover.

Looks like it is a custom order black J-45 from the early 60s which is most unique. They were building the black Everly Brothers at that time so someone may have wanted a black J-45.

I would say this guitar is not at all common. I am not aware of black J-45s other than the late 60s run. The late 60s black guitars can fetch an nice price. This is an interesting guitar.

Thanks for posting. Great family history.

Terry

TM,

What you say is interesting because it goes along with the actual story on this guitar. My grandmother's favorite color was black, and everything she owned was black. She was giving guitar to lessons to the wife of a doctor she worked for, and he went away ("up North") on business and returned with this guitar and gave it to her as a gift. He teased her about why a black guitar would sound better, and she just said "I like black guitars."

I have always been told that he had this special ordered for her and picked it up during his business trip to Chicago.

Your comments about the truss rod cover and the inside label are the same that Gruhn Guitars made. I sent in pictures for an appraisal, which they didn't do because the truss rod cover and the label seemed out of place. They asked to see it in person, but I haven't gotten up that way yet (just 2 hour drive, but ....).

Thanks for your info.

That looks to be a unique ebony J-45. They did make a black J-45 with a white pickguard also red with white pickguard around 67' date=' 68. These guitars had the narrow neck. This does not look like that run of guitars. The neck looks wider like a 63, the label is also unusual for a J-45 as is the custom truss rod cover.

Looks like it is a custom order black J-45 from the early 60s which is most unique. They were building the black Everly Brothers at that time so someone may have wanted a black J-45.

I would say this guitar is not at all common. I am not aware of black J-45s other than the late 60s run. The late 60s black guitars can fetch an nice price. This is an interesting guitar.

Thanks for posting. Great family history.

Terry[/quote']

I agree with everything that Terry said about your black J45. This really does look earliier then the run of these that they did in 67 and 68. That puppy may be worth a pretty penney as I'm sure it's worth a lot sentimentally as well.

There were a number of black guitars (different brands) about the time Johnny Cash was doing "the man in black." (late 60's??)(was this also when many were doing "Long Black Veil?"). The **establishment** was the enemy and many entertainers were doing something in protest. Johnny Cash seemed to be an advocate for prison reform (a worthy cause -- lots of prison ministries). Anti-establishment got even stronger in the 70's (the war, etc.) Cash was never in prison (according to Wikipedia) but had problems (drugs) -- however, most of us liked him anyway and he leaves a very favorable legacy in his life, marriage and music. His songs are at least as popular as Hank Williams (alcoholism) and Elvis (also drugs -- too bad). All three of them appealed to "the little man" (most of us). You can play their songs anywhere and people begin singing -- today; 50+ years later.

Archived