Gibson Brands Forums

Security cameras and such

ksdaddy

A few years ago my kids got me a Ring doorbell, with camera and all that. I happened to have an old style doorbell, so I mounted it so it would be powered all the time via the low voltage feed. That lasted about a week. It lost it's connection and Ring was no help whatsoever. I've run it on it's rechargeable internal battery ever since. In the winter it needs to be charged about once a week. 

My kids have moved up to newer Ring doorbells and they seem to like them a lot. I guess I'd buy another, but not a 'doorbell' this time, just a security camera, maybe one with a floodlight. Maybe a couple, for that matter.  I'm not a "security system" type; never had the need.... but people are people and drugs are rampant here. Rampant. I've almost never locked my doors and I rarely took the keys out of my car. But I'm an idiot and will pay someday. Lately I've been more diligent, locking the cars at night or at least taking the keys out. And deadbolting all doors.

I'm at the point where I no longer trust that old Ring doorbell. I left one of my trucks in the front yard this morning, the bed full of scrap metal. A guy was coming sometime today to pick all the scrap up.  I have one recorded event at 11:59 showing the truck with the metal, and another event at 12:47 showing an empty truck. So he came sometime in between with no recording from my "security" camera.

Of course the sensitivity can be adjusted, and actually it's too sensitive. It triggers every time a large truck goes by.

So I wonder what else I've missed?

Before I buy new Rings, I'd like to hear what you guys use, if anything. 

I use the Feit Smart Flood. Feeds shots to my phone, lights my drive up like Las Vegas, has 2way voice so I can intimidate Jehovah's Witnesses, records and has adjustments for all settings. Hard wired and free.

BlinQs system of individually mounted cams is another easy way to get 360 degree house coverage.

Like when having a dog, a beware of dog sign is vital, the 'you're on cam' signs are as important as the cams.

https://www.feit.com/product/led-dual-head-motion-sensor-security-light-smart-camera/

Edited by jedzep

I dont have it myself but we did install a Ring doorbell and floodlight/camera for my mum at the front of her house...

Its as annoying as hell as it goes off all the time.. But oddly the first week after we installed it we actually found a video of someone trying to break in to my mums car...

The floodlight we have never had issues with. The doorbell has caused some problems though.. It stopped accepting a charge and there have been times its lost its connectivity.. But all in all its pretty good. With the doorbells, even when they are wired in it still runs off the battery. The power going to it is a trickle charge, so what I found can happen is that if there is a busy day and its recorded a lot it can loose like half its power and takes a few days to get back up to 90%.. Its silly really, if its wired in it shouldn't need a battery..

Sorry cant tell you about any other systems.

Edited by Rabs

I have used a hard-wired Ring doorbell for the past three years and the only problem was an occasional buzzing of the chime unit (non-ring component).  I have found that connecting a 100 ohm resistor across the coils of the chime solved the problem.  I like the "neighborhood" feature you can opt to join that lets you receive video clips other Ring  neighborhood users post.  I have the unit connected to my cell phone via the Ring app that alerts me when someone is at or in the vicinity of the door.  Live on a lightly traveled street so I only get about 20 alerts a day, which lets me know the unit is working.  Hope this helped.

OK if you're home and don't drop your guard.

As the virus took hold at first, guys I worked peripherally with in the building trades began to bemoan their soon to be lost jobs. One asked me if I needed help. He said he's ready to rob a f....kin bank if he has to. A light went on in my brain,  and realizing if things go downhill, I'm going to want some kind of alert and record of who goes up and down my isolated driveway. Grab and run hits are on the rise in an ever worsening economy, so my plans were laid.

I can wave a gun at someone who I find standing in the doorway, too, but it's the lone country house that gets the attention of random marauders.

59 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I believe Ring is a spy device - like many, many things in today's world.  But hey, that's just me.  I'm ashamed I have a phone. 

When I let the dogs out to pee at 2 am I think of that and avoid being in the camera's range.  Or if I am in range in my underwear, I will at least refrain from urinating in the driveway.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

When I let the dogs out to pee at 2 am I think of that and avoid being in the camera's range.  Or if I am in range in my underwear, I will at least refrain from urinating in the driveway.

Lol yeah I would definitely want to make sure I refrain from doing that. Eyes are everywhere!

15 hours ago, CNJ said:

teeth.JPG.2addc2ceab1cc3ccd5b102ce3bf55cde.JPG

Supplement the security of the Ring doorbell with the above pictured family pet.

Yeah, we have 2 just like him.  And a narrow, decorative side window by the front door.  Scares the crap out of anyone who comes to the door when they bark.  But, more so when they don't and the visitor looks through the pebbled glass and sees them inches from his face calmly looking at him. 

We have an "Arlo" camera system.  Two outside in the front, one inside.   Wish I had gotten the hard wired model -  taking them down to re-charge is a real pain 15' above the sloped driveway.  Can turn notifications going to your phone on or off for individual cameras.  Had them about 2 years. 

17 hours ago, jedzep said:

OK if you're home and don't drop your guard.

As the virus took hold at first, guys I worked peripherally with in the building trades began to bemoan their soon to be lost jobs. One asked me if I needed help. He said he's ready to rob a f....kin bank if he has to. A light went on in my brain,  and realizing if things go downhill, I'm going to want some kind of alert and record of who goes up and down my isolated driveway. Grab and run hits are on the rise in an ever worsening economy, so my plans were laid.

I can wave a gun at someone who I find standing in the doorway, too, but it's the lone country house that gets the attention of random marauders.

That is why I have Brad and Brent .

I just keep the porch light on when I turn in.  When I'm out during the day, there's too many nosy neighbors keeping "tabs" on every house on the block so I don't worry too much.  My house is in such need of exterior sprucing( faded siding color,  50 year old awning,  old porch swing with rusted metal frame) That it looks like someone none too prosperous lives there.  [wink]

I don't know anything about those Ring doorbell things but that the only guy I know that had one got rid of it because it would send an alarm every time a stray cat or squirrel  got on his porch.  And something else...

All the ads I see for those things show "footage"( not real invasions of course) of supposed burglars and other thieves approaching the front door.  Huh!   I endured only one break-in. It was 0ver 30 years ago, in a different house than I'm in now.  Happened when we were out.  The crooks busted in through the BACK DOOR!  So, unless you get TWO ring doorbell systems, for front AND the back door, your just spinning your wheels . 

Plus, both my front and back doors are strong steel doors with sturdy  deadbolt locks.    And since most the video footage I see on the news taken by those systems  are of people stealing AMAZON packages off the porch, and since I never order anything from Amazon that can't fit in the mailbox(DVDs. CDs and books) I'm not really too nervous.  [wink]

Whitefang

Nothing wrong with getting your own cameras and setting up the software to get surveillance gear online.  I just don't like the "cloud" - i.e. a computer that is not mine holding onto my data.  So if the price of having a device like this costs me privacy, I'm out.  I'll stop there because I'm a radical. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Nothing wrong with getting your own cameras and setting up the software to get surveillance gear online.  I just don't like the "cloud" - i.e. a computer that is not mine holding onto my data.  So if the price of having a device like this costs me privacy, I'm out.  I'll stop there because I'm a radical. 

You do know of course, that there ARE many computers, not yours,  that are holding onto your data.  You know...

Your employer, bank, doctor, iNtet service and cell service and anywhere else you might be set up for "auto-pay" .   But I get the desire to not let another entity get all that info as well.  [wink]

Whitefang

39 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

You do know of course, that there ARE many computers, not yours,  that are holding onto your data.  You know...

Your employer, bank, doctor, iNtet service and cell service and anywhere else you might be set up for "auto-pay" .   But I get the desire to not let another entity get all that info as well.  [wink]

Whitefang

Yes, I am aware, haha!  Bothers me all the time that places like these have information about me 😆  I essentially have to trust that they are protecting it.  It is really about damage control - i.e. not giving another entity my info.  It may be a hopeless battle after all...  Like I said, I got that phone following me around everywhere I go. 

Hi Sparquelito,

looks like you have awesome bunch of back-up singers there.  And my wife also tricks out the dogs in bandanas for special occasions (Valentine's Day,  St. Paddy's, and the like)

Hey, Whitefang,

Know just what you mean, our dogs bark at anything that moves.  We have a bunch of rabbits that live under the deck that drive the dogs insane.  

Edited by CNJ