Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons and a Martin at Carter’s


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

 


.......Personally my  favorites were the SJ -100 and the J 185 .

 

I thought the Martin sounded like junk.......

And here we go again:

Gibson Acoustic Forum topic no. 38 of 46, "How much better Gibson guitars sound compared to Martin guitars".

RBSinTo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While different ears hear things differently I felt the SJ was somewhat muddy sounding.  I preferred both the re-topped Martin D28 and  J185 to it.  But I was just not all that impressed with any of them certainly not the point I would even be remotely tempted to trade my '42 J50 in on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

And here we go again:

Gibson Acoustic Forum topic no. 38 of 46, "How much better Gibson guitars sound compared to Martin guitars".

RBSinTo

JC was simply saying which were his favorites.  I doubt that his being non-impressed with the Martin was not meant to serve as an across the board indictment of their guitars.  If you hang around here long enough you will find that even though we are a bunch of Gibson freaks we are not above heaping some praise on Martins as well as others.  OK, so Taylor might be pushing it a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

JC was simply saying which were his favorites.  I doubt that his being non-impressed with the Martin was not meant to serve as an across the board indictment of their guitars.  If you hang around here long enough you will find that even though we are a bunch of Gibson freaks we are not above heaping some praise on Martins as well as others.  OK, so Taylor might be pushing it a bit.

I have hung around here long enough, despite not having been invited to the party, so all this "the ones we like sound better than the ones they like"mischiguss is not new to me.

As an aside, your comment about the SJ sounding "muddy" is the second time recently I've heard that word used to describe the sound of a Gibson guitar. The first was a month or so ago when the Luthier who repaired my Guild GAD jf30 compared its sound to that of a J200 he was also working on and used that word to describe the Gibson's sound quality.

At least he was hearing them both live and in the flesh, rather than making judgements based on a video recording played through who knows what quality sound systems by people here.

And before the folks come looking for me with torches and pitchforks, know that I have both a D-28, and a j-45, and am very happy with both of them.

RBSinTo

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

I have hung around here long enough, despite not having been invited to the party, so all this "the ones we like sound better than the ones they like"mischiguss is not new to me.

As an aside, your comment about the SJ sounding "muddy" is the second time recently I've heard that word used to describe the sound of a Gibson guitar. The first was a month or so ago when the Luthier who repaired my Guild GAD jf30 compared its sound to that of a J200 he was also working on and used that word to describe the Gibson's sound quality.

 

I have also heard this described as a a middle of the road nasal sound where they just lack clarity. 

The reason I think Martins have not really worked for me is they have a lot of after strum resonance.   I guess I just like guitars which say what they have to say and then quickly get out of their own way so as not to wear out their welcome.

Edited by zombywoof
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

And here we go again:

Gibson Acoustic Forum topic no. 38 of 46, "How much better Gibson guitars sound compared to Martin guitars".

RBSinTo

Nope . I said personally I didn’t like that D 28 conversation… but I do like Martin guitars mostly their  style 18  small bodies and  style 15 small bodies .

 

I’ve stated from day 1 that I’m not a fan of Rosewood guitars for the most part but I’m sure there’s a couple out there I would dig .

 

JC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I have also heard this described as a a middle of the road nasal sound where they just lack clarity. 

The reason I think Martins have not really worked for me is they have a lot of after strum resonance.   I guess I just like guitars which say what they have to say and then quickly get out of their own way so as not to wear out their welcome.

+ 1 

 

JC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but the sound quality doesn't quite give justice to these guitars. The guy's interest in acoustic guitars is occupying more and more space on the Tube and his audience expands.                             He did not start yesterday and it would do him good to raise the sonic bar.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Btw. he is buying and selling with a speed that makes our own Salfromchatham appear like a statue. 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Free photo Sitting Guitarist Still Image Bronze Statue Figure - Max Pixel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lack of quality of the recording made this just "Whoa - look at these expensive guitars!" vid.

The SJ didn't appear to have much of that Gibson bottom end . But, again, I couldn't get much out of the recording.

Must be fun to get to play these babies, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 2:10 PM, zombywoof said:

 

  .................I guess I just like guitars which say what they have to say and then quickly get out of their own way so as not to wear out their welcome.

Zombywoof,

Well, I put both my D-28 and my j45 down on my bed, strummed them both and watched to see what would happen. Neither guitar moved out of their own way, in fact neither moved at all, so I'm a little unclear on what you meant. Should I be using a slicker surface like a glass coffee table? Please advise.

RBSinTo

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 2:10 PM, zombywoof said:

.... The reason I think Martins have not really worked for me is they have a lot of after strum resonance.  .......

I agree with the after strum but that's what I like about them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some Gibsons are great & some aren’t. Some Martins are great & some aren’t. No 2 are exactly the same……. Both Companies are the Bar by which every Acoustic Guitar is measured..  I own both & IMO both are exceptionally great.. Both different but both great!

Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That J185 sounded light years ahead of everything else to me…that’s exactly the tone in my head when I think of really good, old Maple. Video sound quality was lacking but everything else sounded pretty ordinary next to that 185 to my ears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Jinder said:

That J185 sounded light years ahead of everything else to me…that’s exactly the tone in my head when I think of really good, old Maple. Video sound quality was lacking but everything else sounded pretty ordinary next to that 185 to my ears.

I don't know, man. . . for Mr. Jeremy to say that J-185 has "such thickness and warmth". . . could he be confusing it with "needs strings less than a few years-old" ? 'Cause that's what I was hearing. Maybe if he grabbed a pick and actually strummed a few syllables.

Jalex posted a nice video a while back with Richard Hawley waxing about his '53 J-185. . . (last third of the video) that was nice:

 

Edited by 62burst
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...