Gibson Brands Forums

Aniline dye going everywhere.....

mrichard27

I bought a 1960 Anniversary Les Paul, sounds great, looks great.  When my bindings started turning pink I did a little research, and the bleed is normal.  I am totally cool with that.    But EVERYTHING is starting to turn pink.  I have a headphone cable I put between the guitar and my thigh, it was white, it is pink now.    The towel on the guitar stand I use to keep the foam off the nitro, it is pink now.  Even one the pickup rings is getting a little pink now....  I mean, is THIS normal????  Seems like its getting a little out of control.. 

On my 59 reissue the dye has bled into the binding more where the guitar touches the padding of the rack it sits on

KJqADdQ.jpg

I’m going to cover the rack padding with a soft cotton cloth and see if that does anything. Honestly I’m not really worried about it but it sounds like yours is doing something different 

I don't mind the bleed either, and I understand that it is "historically correct" - but with that said, in searching the web I have NEVER found one that bled this much.  And like I mentioned in the original post, its actually coming out of the guitar and getting on other things...    It's brand new, bought it from Chicago Music Exchange a couple months ago, and the binding was completely white when I got it....    At first, it bled around the 2/3 fret, where you play the open chords, and around the 5th where I guess "A" is my favorite key to noodle around in, but eventually it just spread all over.....  Top and bottom of the neck, and the body..    Maybe it'll fade...  I dunno..  I buy guitars to play them,  so I don't really care about resale value and all that..  Just wish I knew if this is ever gonna slow down.......  I guess eventually it'll run out of ink..  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that's a lot of pink, something is not right there.  I may be wrong but I believe the dye is put on the wood to color the guitar, and then the nitrocellulose finish is put on over that for the glossy finish.   How that much dye is leaching through the nitro and getting on everything is strange.  You might take a small spot on the back or bottom edge and polish it up real good with polish which actually removes a little of the finish and leave a clean smooth layer from underneath.  Imagine your polish rag would turn red, but it would be interesting to see if after doing that it stopped leaching from that spot?

Just seems like there was way too much dye used or it was not allowed to fully soak in and dry before the clear was applied.  I don't think Gibson warranty covers finish issues, but that just seems really excessive and something they might want to know about to prevent happening in the future.  I'd at least email them some photos and see what they have to say.   

23 hours ago, mrichard27 said:

Yeah I dunno...   The guitar sounds awesome, and to be honest, I've never been one of these guys who gets upset over scratches, dings or imperfections....  As a matter of fact, I like that its kind of quirky...  Reminds me of.... me.  🙂  

That’s a good attitude. Keep playing!

• 4 months later...

After few days of playing, got the same aniline dye on my 60th anniversary LP v3 on the neck and the body binding and on the pickup rings.

It could be normal on the neck but not on the body binding and the rings. The made in Costa Rica case is certainly the culprit : the inner part must contain abrasive products. Do we have to thank Gibson for such poor quality case ?

4 hours ago, Manolo said:

After few days of playing, got the same aniline dye on my 60th anniversary LP v3 on the neck and the body binding and on the pickup rings.

It could be normal on the neck but not on the body binding and the rings. The made in Costa Rica case is certainly the culprit : the inner part must contain abrasive products. Do we have to thank Gibson for such poor quality case ?

Only a Gibson case it dyed pink enough. That is a bummer and Gibson does not warranty its finish.  No maker does that I am aware of. 

It seems better. Do you keep your LP in the case ? I keep mine outside, all the time. I give "her" a sunbath when the weather is sunny (put a towell on the body). No real mitigation of the dye for the moment.

Edited by Manolo

No case for this one, ever....  I keep it on a stand all the time, and play it everyday.   I think the dye in the binding is just different for every person...    As a matter of fact, there was a guy who posted this picture of a card that Gibson used to include with historic guitars......  So, whatever....  It doesn't bother me..  

Dye Bleed.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...