Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

D.C. Country & Western


69 er

Recommended Posts

I bought a sc c& w at guitar center....they were great!  I am posting this to relate my experience these last months.  I started out buying Martin D-42,  D-41, OM - 000-42, Taylor 912 ,814, 714 etc. trying to find the sound, playability, comfort and connection. I returned them all. 

In 1968 I bought a Gibson J-50 and then a Martin D 28 in 1980. I had them along time.  Great guitars although the Martin neck was a tad on the thick side in those days.  I know the reputation of Martin having the sound and build quality indures  to this day and Gibson is no slouch either.  The last 50 years I haven't heard people comment on the sound of Gibson as much as Martin.

This sc c& w creates the deep bass I was looking for but not overwhelming, the mids  are just that mids and the trebles ring like bell tones!  The neck fits my hand in all positions and I find it easier to bar than the Taylors or Martins. 

Sheryl Crow along with Gibson did a great job on the specs  and build quality.  What a great heirloom  to pass on!  Thanks!

Anyone else out there share my enthusiasm? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you probably know there are 2 Crow CW's. The first one from the late 90s and the relatively new adjusted - torrefied and forward shifted - version.                                                                                                                          Assume you have the latter.          Could we see and maybe hear it - would make the comin' weekend light extra up for the Board-member/readers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lawdy, there have been at least six Crow Signature guitars released by Gibson since the early 2000s including one slope shoulder burst SJ.   No grass growing under the feet of their marketing team.

Anyway, congrats.  I gather the latest incarnation has some upgrades over those which preceded it which were all modernized versions of the '62 C&W she is most associated with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Aha - could you mention the other 3 ?

I am one of those who while having nothing against artist endorsed guitars I also do not have a ton of interest in them.    But for grins I did a quick search on the SC Signature guitars. It looks like the first run was in 2000-2001.  After that there were seemingly annual runs from 2003 through 2006 followed  by those in 2009-2010 and 2012 to 2013.   With the exception of the 2012-213 issue which was the round shoulder SJ, I do not have a clue about the specs of the varying other square shoulder C&W signature guitars.  Then there was, of course, the 2019 issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I’ve always been drawn to the  signature artist guitars but few stay around very long.

As I think you know at one point I was considering a Jackson Browne Signature.  But that notion came and went pretty quickly.  The only other Signature guitar I gave a second look at was the Keb Mo Bluesmaster.  While I am not a fan of the artist whose name adorned the instrument, the 1.8" nut and deeper French Heel neck was something which appealed to me in a Bozeman-made guitar.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what Signatures I've went through that I remember. Only two remain.

Chet Atkins - CE - SST - Super Axe - Gretsch County Gentleman - Gretsch Roundup - Gibson Country Gentleman (still have)

Les Paul - Custom LP - Standard LP

Jackson Browne (Smeck)

Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

Kris Kristofferson  SJ

Martin Eric Clapton 000-28 - one natural, one sunburst

Martin D28 Elvis Presley

Martin HD-40 Marty Stuart (still have)

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am one of those who while having nothing against artist endorsed guitars I also do not have a ton of interest in them.    But for grins I did a quick search on the SC Signature guitars. It looks like the first run was in 2000-2001.  After that there were seemingly annual runs from 2003 through 2006 followed  by those in 2009-2010 and 2012 to 2013.   With the exception of the 2012-213 issue which was the round shoulder SJ, I do not have a clue about the specs of the varying other square shoulder C&W signature guitars.  Then there was, of course, the 2019 issue.

Get that, yes - rhymes with my book as all the first 1962 based squares are counted as 1 there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         My brother got one of the earliest - he wanted my opinion and payed a visit around the millenium. Then we compared his new CW and my 1984 Martin D-35 the rest of the evening.                                              This was the first time I discovered that something profound had changed about Gibson acoustics.                                                                                                                                                                                      The relatively reborn light scalloped bracing knocked the Mart out - and blew my hat down the yard. And I/we hadn't a clue about what was goin' on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

 

Get that, yes - rhymes with my book as all the first 1962 based squares are counted as 1 there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         My brother got one of the earliest - he wanted my opinion and payed a visit around the millenium. Then we compared his new CW and my 1984 Martin D-35 the rest of the evening.                                              This was the first time I discovered that something profound had changed about Gibson acoustics.                                                                                                                                                                                      The relatively reborn light scalloped bracing knocked the Mart out - and blew my hat down the yard. And I/we hadn't a clue about what was goin' on. 

As I said, I do not have a clue what differences in specs there were (if any) between the various runs of SC guitars.  The only thing I can say is that all  of them were pure modern Bozeman and share little if anything in terms of structure with the original '62.  But there were enough runs that finding one used is not a terribly difficult chore.  

And you have to remember that your poor old 1984 Martin was laboring under a handicap.  It was built with the oversized rosewood bridge plate.   While the type of wood did not really matter size did.  This feature gave Martins enough of a blackeye that I have known more than a few who have those plates swapped out for a traditional size maple plate. 

 

 

Edited by zombywoof
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

And you have to remember that your poor old 1984 Martin was laboring under a handicap.  It was built with the oversized rosewood bridge plate.   While the type of wood did not really matter size did.  This feature gave Martins enough of a blackeye that I have known more than a few who have those plates swapped out for a traditional size maple plate. 

Ahh, , , this made me take the fine mojoed squire from the case - it saw action in a full-band session earlier this week - and check.                                                                                                                                                                                                          Yes, you are right - big rosewood plate in there. Used the opportunity to sand it a little - call it a symbolic gesture, but it happened.                                                                                                      Must be added that the last 2 decades have done the guitar good - it's much looser than it was back then. It is in fact excellent and more tempting than ever. 

That said I'm sure the main difference in 2000 was the lighter braces on the Gibson.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The 35 has a thinner bracing than D-28's from that era - but it couldn't compete with the effect of the seriously revived Kalamazoo/Bozeman scalloping skills.                                                                                    Still any new SC CW would have trouble reaching the (almost) vintage timbre of the now 37 years old 3-piece-back rose dreadnought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have held onto my only artist signature guitar which is a SC CW from the 2011 run and before Gibson charged an extra grand for the name and/or torrefaction process.   It was $2,300  then.  The ten years past figures into the price also, I realize.  Back then that was too much really!  It is  one of my favorite guitars on sound and build.  I'd love to compare it with the current one.  That would answer the torrefying question once and for all for me.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hall said:

  I'd love to compare it with the current one.  That would answer the torrefying question once and for all for me.   

Understood - and you may find your 11 the winner. Remember how much 10 years mean - not least to these square hogs.                                                                                                                                                                                                           But if you should be lucky enough to meet a new one (probably happens sooner or later), don't forget to write us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played a couple hrs today, man I love this guitar!  I play a Ramirez 1A as well so I am playing classical as well as old folk songs.   E- minor7 since I just purchased this new from guitar center I would assume it is a recent build.   I looked for a year to find a steel string acoustic that would fulfill my expectations, didn't think it would be a Gibson.   The sc c&w has the full sound , sustain  and truthfulness  a guitar should have.    

I went by sound and playability  not concerning if it was a signature model or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 69 er said:

I played a couple hrs today, man I love this guitar!  I play a Ramirez 1A as well so I am playing classical as well as old folk songs.   E- minor7 since I just purchased this new from guitar center I would assume it is a recent build.   I looked for a year to find a steel string acoustic that would fulfill my expectations, didn't think it would be a Gibson.   The sc c&w has the full sound , sustain  and truthfulness  a guitar should have.    

I went by sound and playability  not concerning if it was a signature model or not.

So are you saying it may be a newly built S.C. CW, but not he torrefied version. Think we better look into the serial # and clear this up. Unless of course you want to keep it a mystery.                                                No matter what it's the bonding that counts. And you have found your guitar ~ C🎈 NGRATULATIONs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

So are you saying it may be a newly built S.C. CW, but not he torrefied version. Think we better look into the serial # and clear this up. Unless of course you want to keep it a mystery.                                                No matter what it's the bonding that counts. And you have found your guitar ~ C🎈 NGRATULATIONs

Think we could actually find out by checking the hue of the back'n'sides = Brown or Red ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 69 er said:

Cherry red.

 

6 hours ago, 69 er said:

Torrified 

Sure  - thx, get it, the also forward shifted Supreme - all make sense.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Heard a handful of very impressing ones on the Tube since the launch. Tried one too - not quite together yet, a matter of time.
                                         Enjoy 👍 

, , , and send a video glimpse if you like. . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2021 at 5:22 AM, zombywoof said:

I am one of those who while having nothing against artist endorsed guitars I also do not have a ton of interest in them.    But for grins I did a quick search on the SC Signature guitars. It looks like the first run was in 2000-2001.  After that there were seemingly annual runs from 2003 through 2006 followed  by those in 2009-2010 and 2012 to 2013.   With the exception of the 2012-213 issue which was the round shoulder SJ, I do not have a clue about the specs of the varying other square shoulder C&W signature guitars.  Then there was, of course, the 2019 issue.

There was also a "SCSJ Supreme" limited run in 2015

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bozz said:

Advanced scalloped, red, and uncooked.  Also, hide glue, rectangular bridge, cut through bone saddle, waverly tuners, trance amulet pickup

Here's an old link to Gibson's page 

O yea, , , the SJ. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Sir, got to play one for awhile and do like everything about til I hit the Gibson curse. Had a couple high frets 7th and 12th. Fret job latter and I’m back to crooning. My opinion that this should have been caught at factory it was that bad.  Plus run off glue all over the braces. I can live with it for this tone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...