Gibson Brands Forums

LGs

jibberish

I have done time with a late-1950s LG1 and LG2s built in '46 and '47.  So as far as it goes I am fairly limited in my experience.  When it came to the LG1 I have played ladder braced guitars I liked a whole lot better.  With the LG2s  I preferred the feel of the '46  but liked the sound of the '47 better.    But you can't read too much into it as 1940s guitar builds could be kind of quirky.  Hands down though the LG2 I liked the best and the one which would have drawn me back into the LG fold was the one where the stars would not line up properly for me to bring home - a 1944 a maple body LG2.  Ain't that the way it tends to go.

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I have three -- 1942 LG-1, 1946 LG-2, and 1959 LG-1.  They are quite different instruments.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Ain't that the truth.   The '46 and '47 I had in the house at the same time sounded different enough to make you question whether they were built in the same factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

says in the video it's to combine the body of his LG2 with the neck of his country western. i dig it! glad to see it's not just another vintage spec slapped with someone's name on it for some additional marketshare

That would mean an LG2 with a C&W slim taper C carve neck and 1 /58" nut. I would not bet the ranch on this model having those specs.  

11 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Pick up your Rateliff sig model today at Music Villa….only 3300  bones.  
rb

as salty says above, the sig model with some aesthetic differences and the cache of being a sig model is only $800 more than the standard. coming off of the shock of the NG 150  upcharge i'd say the NR western is quite reasonable! 

2 hours ago, jt said:

Oh, and here is the earliest LG known, and the second Banner Gibson ever made (number 2 in the very first batch--the whereabouts of number 1 is unknown):

lovely JT!  there are times where the more I play my J45 the more I kind of long for the banner LG2 I missed out on years ago- great sound and you look comfortable sitting with it!

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

as salty says above, the sig model with some aesthetic differences and the cache of being a sig model is only $800 more than the standard. coming off of the shock of the NG 150  upcharge i'd say the NR western is quite reasonable! 

I agree, they could have put a much higher up charge on it.  A deal in this day and age.

rb

Does seems to be a little to fancy for an LG but it’s an interesting idea to swap necks on a guitar. I’ve had many a guitar I’ve moved on due to the neck shape even though I liked the looks and sound of the guitar. I can play the baseball necks and the deep vee and wide and the skinny narrow shapes but given the choice, I reach for the guitar that’s most comfortable to play. As always, to each his own. 

21 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

lovely JT!  there are times where the more I play my J45 the more I kind of long for the banner LG2 I missed out on years ago- great sound and you look comfortable sitting with it!

Thank you!

I've really come to love the LG body shape/size.

Later this month I'll be putting on a Banner Gibsons/Kalamazoo Gals show at AmericanaFest in Nashville. I'll be bringing 2 Banner LGs and 2 Banner SJs for folks to play. I'm looking forward to seeing how folks respond to the two body styles.

AmericanaFest Kal Gals Schedule.JPG