Gibson Brands Forums

Mo' Money

brad1

Today I was paid via direct deposit; directly into my bank account.  And when I looked at the amount, I was very surprised. It was a lot more than it should have been.

About 3k  more than it was my last pay check. 

Now I did get a raise from last year, but not even close to that much. I am a school teacher, and I get paid on a scale. We get small increments in salary increases, as do most public employees. 

So I ask you guys...what should I do?

What if this is the one and only time? Or what if this happens every month for the next year?
I am feeling a little guilty. And I am worried if they find out about it down the road, that I may have to pay it back.

Anybody have any knowledge or experience with something like this? Any lawyers

What would you guys do???:-k[confused]

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

This has happened to me with the VA and other places. They will realize their mistake and come looking for their money. You may see 3 large less in one of your paychecks, so be careful.

This reminds me of the time about 25 years ago I was checking my bank balance over the phone and I had over a 2 million dollar balance. Surprisingly it took them a couple of days to find out that it wasn't my money. It was nice being a millionaire for a couple of days. 

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not a lawyer, but I know if someone ships you something in the mail unsolicited you are entitled to keep it.  Not the same with money transfers.  Ethical thing to do would be tell your employer about it, probably a mistake, but by being honest they may allow  you to keep a portion of it?

Edited by Twang Gang

I'm with Kelly.   You can count on if it's a mistake they'll want the overage returned at a time you can ill afford to provide it.  A similar thing happened to a sister in law of mine.  She contacted her bank about it( in her case it was a direct deposit too) and they were helpful in straightening the situation out.  In her case it was only a couple hondo.   

But, at 3K I'm assuming we're not talking a weekly paycheck, eh?   Not for a PUBLIC schoolteacher anyway.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

The ethical thing to do is to ask your employer about this as others have stated or leaned towards.  The places I worked for and work for, I don't take anything that is not mine or agreed upon to take.  That's a lot of money, but don't let things like this ruin your career.  Maybe it is yours...  Overall, looks like possibly an error, but maybe not...  Overall, my advice is to be ethical and honest. 

• Like 1

Yeah I would also not just leave it...   As said, if your paycheque was short you would tell them quick enough.. Treat others how you would want to be treated... 

Teaching is also not an area where theres much spare money either... Could be used for many other things.

You never know, you might get a nice surprise and if its legit you can then enjoy it as you want otherwise it was never really yours in the first place and also as said above it would worry me way too much to live with that...

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I didn't think money orders that high were possible.   But then, I never got money orders at a bank, where the cost of one is much higher than anywhere else you get them.

Whitefang

Perhaps it was a certified check, I just remember looking at it going oh no, that poor woman, they're not going to laugh that one off.

• Like 1

Mistakes happen, even with payroll..  this was probably one of them.  I'd ask some questions starting now.

who ever is responsible (or their managers) will be looking to make it right,... so with that said, you should have an idea of how that's going to work out for you.

think of it like this...   if you got $3k less than what you had coming???  you'd not let it slide.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Cash it out, go down to your local bookie, and make two bets;

One for $500 for the Miami Hurricanes to win next Saturday in their season opener. 

A second bet for $2,500 for Alabama to win that same game instead. 

At the least, between the two bets, you'll break even if Alabama wins.
In the best case, if Miami wins, you'll pocket several thousand dollars. 

Then on Monday, go back to the bank and deposit the $3,000, and then notify the school district HR that there was some sort of mistake. 

Everybody wins this way. 

😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Cash it out, go down to your local bookie, and make two bets;

One for $500 for the Miami Hurricanes to win next Saturday in their season opener. 

A second bet for $2,500 for Alabama to win that same game instead. 

At the least, between the two bets, you'll break even if Alabama wins.
In the best case, if Miami wins, you'll pocket several thousand dollars. 

Then on Monday, go back to the bank and deposit the $3,000, and then notify the school district HR that there was some sort of mistake. 

Everybody wins this way. 

😬

brilliant!! [biggrin]

• Confused 1

Brilliant indeed! Much better plan than mine:  buy $3K worth of lottery tickets and (here where the plan falls a bit short) HOPE to win at least $3,001.

At the very least, print out the statement and tack it on the wall above your guitars

• Like 1