Gibson Brands Forums

Own shares of a Gibson Guitar

Rabs

So does this mean they want you to give them money to own  a share in a guitar that you will never even get to see???  Why???  Who determines the value??? 

Gibson has partnered with Rally — a platform for investing in rare collectible assets — to give you an opportunity to own a piece of history: Three artist prototype guitars from the Gibson vault.

These unique Gibson guitars, each hand-crafted by the world-renowned Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville, are coming soon, including the Slash 1966 EDS-1275 Doubleneck, the Tony Iommi “Monkey” 1964 SG Special Replica, and the Adam Jones 1979 Les Paul Custom (Aged & Signed) Silverburst. Each guitar is the one-of-a-kind official artist-approved prototype, saved by Gibson, making it the most special guitar in these limited-edition runs.

The iconic guitarist from Guns N’ Roses first picked up a Gibson 1966 EDS-1275 Doubleneck guitar from a small music store in Indiana ahead of the band’s worldwide “Use Your Illusion” tour, and it quickly became an integral part of his rig. In 2019, Gibson produced 125 hand-signed replicas of the iconic guitar. #SLASH is the prototype guitar sent to Slash for his approval before the series went into production. This prototype instrument is initially offered at a valuation of $65,000, and you can own your piece of it for as little as $5 a share, only on Rally. 

https://hello.gibson.com/rally/

Edited by Rabs

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I saw that, just bizarre.

For $1.75 you can own a chunk of my SG Standard's gig bag, who's in?

I'll buy in, but only if your gig back is Genuine Gibson, dolphin-safe, culturally-diverse, gluten-free, and is constructed of tone enhancing materials. 
😐

Hn8cXAd.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

If I had to choose between a share or owning any of those guitars, I'd opt for the share, because I wouldn't give any of them houseroom. 

Then why would you even bother at all???????

The good news is you really don't have to choose. 

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, jvi said:

for 1.75 I will take a coffee instead....

Depends on from where.  Like, from a restaurant or diner, maybe.  But at one of them there "designer" coffee huts(Starbuck's, The Beanery, etc.) $1.75 won't even cover the cost of the CUP!  [blink]

Look.  If I'm gonna throw my money away buying shares of anything, it'll be Gibson stock.  [wink]

Whitefang

I didn't get into the details of how Rally works, but I guess you are investing however much  you want into a guitar that is initially valued at $65,000.  Theoretically as with any investment, if the value goes up you could sell your share for a profit.  Goofy idea, but I'm sure some people will think it's worthwhile.  I guess it's a way for Gibson to raise some money since they own the guitars now so it's similar to selling stock in the company.  But it's such a small amount in relation to the valuation of the company I don't see it as much of a money maker for them?

Crazy stuff

So I got a much better deal for you than Gibson's:  My name is Tom, I have a dog named Murphy who just happens to be (part) black lab.  Now for the economical sum of only $1.00, I will think of you every time I play ANY of my Gibson guitars, since they are of course, "Tom Murphy Labs"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It might be a ploy to troll their forum for insults.

It appears to have paid dividends!

If Gibson wants to diversify from making quality musical instruments by adding the promotion of money-making schemes of dubious value to their portfolio, they are free to do so. But voicing disagreement with this foolish idea doesn't make one a troll.

RBSinTo

18 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Then why would you even bother at all???????

The good news is you really don't have to choose. 

RBSinTo

Answer to your question: I would not, and that is the reason I began with 'If I had too choose...' An unimaginable scenario? Only if you stick to rationality. Gibson didn't and I followed suit.

They should try selling shares of "Guitar Experience".  Where you don't own a share of an actual guitar, just a share of the "experience" of a particular famous model guitar.  You get a share of the fabulousness of all the rocking-out and wiener-grabbing grindage blasting thru a bunch of stacks.  And a Certificate of Appreciation in a gig wallet.  Fifty Dollars.

After all is said and done, I truly find this brazen grift by Gibson to be incredibly sad. I'm sure many people besides me, who post here are embarrassed for them, as they are obviously too greed-driven to be embarrassed by their actions themselves.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1