Gibson Brands Forums

Marauder by Gibson

Korjean

This guitar was my grandfathers and he recently passed and no one else is the family is musically inclined. We had it evaluated at a local music store and I posted it online based on what they told us. I just had someone tell me it’s fake and we are falsely advertising. So, what are your thoughts based upon the pictures? There is no identifiable serial number and that is the basis for the person saying it’s a fake. Please help! 

3B1CB9BB-2171-437D-8C2C-6465E9A9A896.jpeg

C9F83FCA-7AD0-4925-AC02-78D3D48447E3.jpeg

47CB6D45-8423-4B48-B425-DCD3C0A32E85.jpeg

6A440F77-E241-4B1E-99C4-AC9D60EBF01A.jpeg

4DD04556-9F59-4DDC-A1CD-154E26B87AB9.jpeg

78C1BCDE-296C-4B57-8CE7-14C076FC72B0.jpeg

Marauder where made in the late 70's by Norlin/Gibson 

They did come with bolt on neck's 

So if someone is calling it a fake might be thinking Gibson does set necks not bolt on.

But on certain 'lower' models they did bolt on necks

I'm far from an expert,  but it looks like other pictures of Marauder's

Hopefully a Marauder "expert" will stumble across this thread 

Put on your thicker glasses and look and feel around up there at the pointy end, on the back.  Should be some stamping up there.  Even if you can't quite make it out and the stamping is there, it's a real one that for some reason had some paint done up top there.  Take the pickups out, make sure they are covered in gunk, thick black gunk usually.  If so, it's a real one with real Lawrence pickups in it.

rct

It's an interesting question. 

All the details are spot on, save the absence of the Gibson headstock logo, as well as the embossed serial number on the back of the headstock. 
Perhaps some previous owner felt compelled to sand-down and repaint the headstock at some point, as rct surmises. 

My gut tells me it's real, and that some headstock damage forced an unfortunate repainting. 

Tragic too, because it would be tough to ask the going Reverb  rate of ~$,1400 or even the Blue Book value of $900. 

😞

• 4 weeks later...