Gibson Brands Forums

Accuracy of custom shop 1958 Les Paul Juniors

Montana Ed

Hi folks.  I am drooling over the custom shop les Paul junior model. It would be a great addition to my collection.  I don't have a P-90 guitar in my collection.  What's the general consensus on this beautiful instrument? Is it popular with the forum members? Is it fairly faithful to the original 1958 instrument? It's pretty pricey and I really appreciate your opinions.  Thanks very much!!

Edited by Montana Ed

Hi Eg,

Guitarist magazine here in the U.K did a review on the new Les Paul Junior (Murphy Lab) a couple of months ago (issue 474) where they compared it to an original 1957 example that they own and they give it a very favourable review.

I hope that helps.

Hi friends: Well,  my new 1958 Les Paul Junior arrived today and all I can say is "Wow! Blown away. " It sounds amazing and plays itself. Perfect intonation up and down the fretboard. It looks fantastic too. Very light and resonant. This one will be with me forever. If you are thinking about getting one, my recommendation is do it! You will be in heaven. 

Thanks Ian. I love the neck carve. It suits me and my playing style very well. I am also very pleased with the pickup. I thought it might be noisy and microphonic because it is a single coil. I was wrong. It is pretty quiet. It is thick and syrupy in tone. Big shoutout to the Gibson craftsmen in the custom shop. You guys are at the top of your game. 

I liked my 1958 Les Paul Junior so much that I decided to also get a 1958 Les Paul. It arrived today. It is unbelievable! The 58's aren't supposed to have any figure on the tops but mine definitely has some going on.  The neck profile is just how I like 'em. Beefy and a usable taper. The pickups sound amazing through my Marshall SV20. Here's a link to the instrument. It's a big day for me. https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/1958-les-paul-standard-reissue-iced-tea-10

• 1 month later...

Hi folks: Can anyone confirm if the recent batch of R8's (mine was built in May) have the same unpotted  Alnico 3 humbuckers in them as the 60th anniverary 1959's have? I think from my reading of the Gibson website that they are the same.  Aside from the R9's having a more figured top, a slightly different gauge fret wire and the R8's having wider necks, are there any other significant differences between the two models?

I am loving my R8! It is a fantastic and beautiful instrument in its own right. Not a thing wrong with it. It is not the fair haired step sibling to the significantly more expensive R9. You pay a significant premium for that figure top.  My R8's top looks pretty nice too.  Thanks very much for your help.

1958 Les Paul.1.jpg

1958 Les Paul.2.jpg

Ed, from a conversation that I had with one of the Gibson Virtual  Tech's all Custom Buckers are unpotted and always have been.

Regarding the difference's between a R8 & R9, as far as I'm aware are the neck size and the figured tops (and a lot more money!) but it's certainly not uncommon to find a R8 with a slimmer neck and highly figured top as each one is indevidual and yours certainly looks a beauty.

It seems that there is a small difference between a real 58 and a 59 which is explained by Burst collector Phil Harris in this video (at about 1:25)

Regards,

Ian