Gibson Brands Forums

335? 345? 356? Can someone please help me identify this guitar?

ianty

serial # is 017160539 so i believe from what i researched that means it's a 2006?

a friend of mine acquired this guitar and i'm trying to identify it to find out what it is worth. she wants to sell it. luckily i stopped her when i found out she was planning on selling it at a yard sale for $100 lol i'm not kidding!

IMG_6742.jpg

From this single, low-resolution image, it doesn't look good.

I am absolutely sure that is is counterfeit. That also makes sense for why someone who theoretically purchased this guitar within the past 15 years has no idea that it's worth more than $100 - unless it was $500 or less to begin with from some Chinese website.

More pictures would back it up, but I don't like what I can make out in this one.

ok thanks for the feedback!  i'll have her take more pics of it and send them to me so i can post it. an ex gave it to her, the reason she was going to sell it for nothing is out of spite. she has no idea what he paid for it.  i thought the back of the headstock looked legit. i do have a pic of it but it exceeds the limit for pic size on here. i have to figure out how to post it

Edited by ianty

To post pics on this forum we all upload to a (free) image-sharing site then copy and paste the link given.

However from your pic (click on image to enlarge)  I can see:

Pickguard and bracket look wrong.  Screw slots in bridge posts - wrong, a dead giveaway.  Don't think there are nibs (binding) on fret ends.  But there is binding in f-holes.  Binding around body too narrow.

I do not think this is a real Gibson either.   Especially if an ex gave it to your friend.

Edited by jdgm

11 hours ago, ianty said:

ok thanks for the feedback!  i'll have her take more pics of it and send them to me so i can post it. an ex gave it to her, the reason she was going to sell it for nothing is out of spite. she has no idea what he paid for it.  i thought the back of the headstock looked legit. i do have a pic of it but it exceeds the limit for pic size on here. i have to figure out how to post it

If this were truly a $5,000 ES-345, the only person she would be spiting is herself. She could always claim to have sold it for $100 while enjoying the extra thousands of dollars.

54 minutes ago, jdgm said:

To post pics on this forum we all upload to a (free) image-sharing site then copy and paste the link given.

However from your pic (click on image to enlarge)  I can see:

Pickguard and bracket look wrong.  Screw slots in bridge posts - wrong, a dead giveaway.  Don't think there are nibs (binding) on fret ends.  But there is binding in f-holes.  Binding around body too narrow.

I do not think this is a real Gibson either.   Especially if an ex gave it to your friend.

ok thanks! i appreciate the feedback.

2 hours ago, ianty said:

sorry i don't know anything about these models, what do you mean by bound f-holes?

The F holes are the sound holes in the guitar sort of shaped like an F..  Bound means its has binding on them binding is the white stripe that goes around the guitar and on the side of the freboard and sometimes on the headstock too  and sometimes on some types of guitars the have F hole  binding. Some dont.

Binding on the F-holes is pretty unusual.  Also for a 345 with the varitone shouldn't it have two out put jacks on the side of the guitar - one for stereo, and one for mono?  This has a single jack like a 335 on the guitar top.  More detailed photos would help solve the questions.

I think mine's a 2006 and the first thing that jumped out at me was the knobs: they could have been changed but that spacing is just off.  Somebody could have changed the pick guard but those ears look kind of mushed together.

3TJ40Eg.jpgCRBUPiG.jpg

Edited by SteveFord

9 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Binding on the F-holes is pretty unusual.  Also for a 345 with the varitone shouldn't it have two out put jacks on the side of the guitar - one for stereo, and one for mono?  This has a single jack like a 335 on the guitar top.  More detailed photos would help solve the questions.

Ok thanks. i'm going to go get the guitar and take more pics of it

8 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I think mine's a 2006 and the first thing that jumped out at me was the knobs: they could have been changed but that spacing is just off.  Somebody could have changed the pick guard but those ears look kind of mushed together.

3TJ40Eg.jpgCRBUPiG.jpg

Yes I see what you mean. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

A black Les Paul Custom with the exact same serial number is currently listed on the Raleigh, NC Craigs List page. My guess is that both are Chibsons - the Les Paul pictures show clues that it is not a real Gibson, but rather a Chinese knockoff. However, the Les Paul is going for $450, Gibson case included - depending upon how well it sounds and plays, it might be worth the $350 after the $100 case is deducted. https://greensboro.craigslist.org/msg/d/burlington-electric-guitar/7436603127.html