Gibson Brands Forums

Leaving good enough alone?

Velouria

Yesterday I ordered a set of TV Jones Classic pickups and a Bigsby vibrato to transform my Les Paul Standard Faded into a well...sort of a mutant Gibson Les Paul/ Gretsch Duojet hybrid. I'd already swapped out the tuners for a set of locking Grovers, but that was only because I broke two of the original tuners in a moment of stupidity. Pretty excited to see how well it works out!!

My first Les Paul (unfortunately stolen at a gig) had a factory Bigsby and to me it not only looks cool but was something I used alot. Sometimes out of habit I still send my hand fishing for the one that isn't there on my new Paul. As for the pickups I'm more of a chord strummer than shredder on guitar and I want my chords to have more clarity than I'm getting from the burstbuckers. Thundergod, that pickguard idea is interesting for sure, I wonder how far off the fit of an actual Gretsch pickguard is from a Gibson one...

Time for a reality check.

1. It's your guitar, do it if you want.

2. Before the purists get squishy about it, remember this is NOT an expensive or rare Les Paul. Even if you eff it up, so?

3. On the nicer Les Pauls, an added Bigsby not only depresses the price somewhat, it eliminates many buyers.

4. That's EXACTLY why I keep looking for a used LP with a Bigsby - somebody took the value hit for me already!

5. A Bigsby on a Les Paul is cool and classy as hell in my opinion - I have a few Bigsbys but not on a LP, not yet...

• 5 weeks later...

It took a month, but the Bigsby finally came in last week and the TV Jones pickups arrived yesterday. After only an hour or so on the workbench I had both installed and I've got to say that I'm beyond happy with the transformation! The tone is quite "jangly" now clean and strummed chords have fantastic articulation. When I bring the gain on my stack up it takes on an almost P90-ish classic rock tone without any hum or squealing feedback, and the guitar simply loves fuzz pedals now which is great 'cause I do too! I should have a pic or two up tomorrow!

Archived