Gibson Brands Forums

ODDITY!

derpapst

Hi all,

Picked up an oddity locally last week and would like some help/advice. I bought, I think (for a relatively low price) a bit of an interesting Frankenstein's monster. It's essentially the body of a Sonex 180 Deluxe with what appears to be the neck/headstock of a Les Paul Junior (I was told this is what it is?) or SG(?) with inlay 'blocks' as opposed to the dots that would be on the Sonex fingerboard. The  Tuners have been changed to Grovers and the pickups appear to be changed to Seymour Duncan Antiquities. Truss rod cover is a three-screw jobbie, as appears is expected with a Sonex.  However the strangest thing about it is that the serial number appears to be kosher (Dec 1980 , Nashville) BUT the two number '3's found in the serial number are the wrong way round (back-to-front). Is anyone aware of, or encountered, anything similar ever?

Any info or comments gratefully received! Images attached!

IMG_4483.jpeg.d6c780cacfa8acb0fcbe8304f00ed38c.jpegIMG_4484.jpeg.6893eb10fd0bfe467e2a3a8daa2a1ec7.jpegIMG_4485.jpeg.765d6dbccc8673d7fbf8e14be4b3282d.jpeg

Edited by derpapst

24 minutes ago, Might Be said:

Not with a Sonex. 

I presume whoever did the neck swap wanted to keep the original TRC. Not really unlikely. 

How is the neck attached? 

The serial seems odd. I'd have to assume those are badly stamped 8s but then it makes no sense.

Yes, would seem so. Neck is attached not with the original bolt style but seems to be glued (it's discernible where this work has been done, but very subtle). It seems literally that the 3 numbers have been stamped the wrong way. . .very strange. If they were 8s, as you say, it makes no sense. . .

IMG_4487.jpeg

Edited by derpapst

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That was an annoying way to phrase an incorrect answer. Where the hell is the ignore button?

OP said the neck was supposed to be from a Les Paul Jr.   I've never seen a Les Paul Jr. with a 3 screw TRC.      

Go to your sign on name in the upper right corner,  click 'Content'  and put my name under 'Ignored Users'.

You're Welcome!  

• Haha 1

OP also said he picked it up "locally"(wherever that is) but where?

A music shop?  or...

Pawn shop?

Thrift shop?

Yard sale?

Outside all the issues he posted, any others?  Does it play well?  Sound good?  Or like crap? 

Inquiring minds want to know.  [wink]

Whitefang

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

OP also said he picked it up "locally"(wherever that is) but where?

A music shop?  or...

Pawn shop?

Thrift shop?

Yard sale?

Outside all the issues he posted, any others?  Does it play well?  Sound good?  Or like crap? 

Inquiring minds want to know.  [wink]

Whitefang

Hello Whitefang!

I reside in Jolly Old England ☺️

(private sale from a fellow with quite a few decent guitars). Plays well, not crap in sound or feel at all. Good solid tone and nice feel to build etc.

• Like 1

The short-lived (1980 to 1984) Gibson Sonex 180 series of guitars were very much oddities. 
Their bodies were "Multi-Phonic construction with Resonwood surrounding a wood core", though the necks were maple with a rosewood fingerboard. 
Replacing the S1 and Marauder as far as 'affordable' options, they sold reasonably well, but never captured the hearts of the Gibson faithful. 

I lived in Germany during the meat of the run of them, December 1981 thru Summer of 1984, and only set my eyes on one after I was back in the States. 
Had a chance to buy a used one that I saw in a pawn shop in Birmingham, AL in 1985, while I was up there for a Hall & Oates concert. 
It would have cost me $225 used, and my first ex-wife balked at such an extravagant purchase. 

This web article offers some GREAT information on the Sonex 180 guitars. 

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/Sonex.php

It was probably fitting that my memory of the Hall and Oates concert venture is linked to that Sonex guitar and also the Pontiac Fiero (the sponsor of the Big Bam Boom concert series). 
Synthetic  Resonwood Multi-phonic body guitars and poor-selling cars with plastic, synthetic body panels. 
There's some connection there, I think. 
Just can't put my mind to it at this moment. 

😐

s-l500.jpg

23 hours ago, derpapst said:

Hello Whitefang!

I reside in Jolly Old England ☺️

(private sale from a fellow with quite a few decent guitars). Plays well, not crap in sound or feel at all. Good solid tone and nice feel to build etc.

Well then, if all that is good for you, and you didn't pay too much and didn't buy it hoping to sell it at a profit later, then just add it to your  harem and enjoy it now and then.  [wink]

Whitefang

10 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

My buddy Mickey Curry was driving a red Fiero when he was drumming with Hall and Oates during that time.  I never realized that they had an association with Pontiac.

Oh, that's fabulous!
Please tell him a long time fan says hi!

Mickey was drumming with Daryl and John when I saw them live back then, along with Charlie, T-Bone, and GE Smith of course. 
So much talent on one stage. 

Daryl referred to Mickey as 'the best looking drummer in all of rock and roll' during that show, when he was doing introductions and brief solos. 
Funny and great times!
🙂