Gibson Brands Forums

12 fret decisions - need advice.

Deadgrateful

Ok, so I'm going to buy a 12 fretter, as most of my live stuff is fingerpicked, and I don't really like taking my j200 out too often. I played a pretty nice M***in 000-28vs (slot head) which I must say, had a nice warm and balanced tone, and was somewhat set on it. Then I got wind of this new (custom I assume) L1 which is just the purdyest thing. Only prob is that it's a 6/7 hour drive away, and I don't have that kind of time at the moment. Has anyone played a recent L1 (pic below)? I'd love to hear some opinions on it, especially vs the M***in if poss.

05071116285218f.jpg05100312010829f.jpg

Of course these are two different animals.

The Martin will be big and lush. The neck is a handful. Probably more versatile.

The Gibson looks like a Robert Johnson L-1 w/o the signature. I love the RJ L-1 but would not want RJ's sig on, so this one is great!

For me the playability of the Gibson would far surpass the Martin. I can't imagine an easier guitar to play than a 12 fret, shortscale Gibson. The Gibson necks are perfect!

If you haven't seen them there are some decent YouTube videos on the RJ L-1, the sound bit on the Gibson website sounds way cool t.oo

Not sure I helped...

That L-1 is REAL purdy!!! But these two are day and night, aren't they? The Martin is rosewood, for one thing. As a fingerpicker, it will also give you more 'room' - it has a nice wide neck - and more important- more room down by the bridge.

So... have to say- given these two options, I'd lean towards the Martin.

But I love the looks of the Gibson... :-

The Martin, I think, will have more tone and range than the L-1 custom, but if you play blues or roots folk/country etc. where the guitar is your voice's friend - the Gibson probably has a ton to offer.

Is it impossible to buy both?

I'd love to buy both, but am also shelling out for an apogee ensemble to replace my duet, and some more recording equipment, so will be short of funds I think. The Martin does have a lovely sound, and I actually really like the V profile neck to my surprise. Is the next on the L1 much thinner? It looks fairly similar from the photos.

There is a huge difference between the necks.

My 00028ec has a similar neck to the 00028vs, but is 1-3/4" at the neck (the 00028vs is 1/16 to 1/8" wider).

I think this Martin neck style is a bit of a handful. While I love the tone and playability, the playability of my L-00 BK is MUCH better IMO.

The Gibson should have the a similar profile to your J200. So if you like that...

Most modern Gibsons have the same neck profile.

I loved the 00028ec when I bought it. After owning it for a while I found with bar chords and more difficult left hand fingerings that I get some pain in my wrist at times. I can play the Gibson all day without pain.

That's just me. Martins are great and I do like having one of each!

OK I am off to play my Martin!

The L1 is a fun little guitar, and it can be quite nice for old timey jazzy, raggy and bluesy things.....but it lacks the scope, the resonance or the refinement of that model Martin. It all depends on what you want....a quirky, funky guitar, that can be very distinctive in a narrow field---or a super vibrant lap piano, that can do just about anything well, about as far as you can take it. Personally, I'd rather have the L1 (particularly if that's an adirondack top).....but I already have a 12 fret Martin.

I think you may have a 3 bears situation here. The 28vs is too full ("a super vibrant lap piano" --nails it). Not to mention a neck like a classical guitar. The RJ is the other extreme--snappy, quick, not very resonant. Too small. I wouldnt rush this.

Does it have to be a 12-fretter? A concert size 14 fretter could get the job done. How 'bout, a Martin 0018v: small body, 14 frets, down the middle re lush/funk. Set on 12 frets? At the entry level, there is the recording king ROS series. At the high end, a martin 00 reisssue

...a quirky' date=' funky guitar, that can be very distinctive in a narrow field [/quote']. Dave Rawlings, anyone?

Jkinnama-

Nice find on that GE. However, I don't see much difference between it and the 00028VS-- except the GE might actually have a larger neck. (bulkier) They are both 12 frets, rosewood, 1 7/8" nut. and I imagine the bridge spacing is the same.. maybe 2 3/8"?

The more I think about it, I'd go with either of those Martins 12 fretters.

Actually, just put a deposit down on the Martin, got a great deal on it so that swayed my decision. It seemed fairly versatile, and I can't see me ever needing to use a pick on it...

Thanks for all the great advice though, and that GE looked very sweet, if I was in the states I may have gone for it...

Archived