Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid newbie pickup question.

NotaCGP

My 335 has "coverless" pickups. I don't care for that look at all.. Am I correct that any set of 49 and 51 mm (or whatever the correct numbers are) pickup covers will fit over the pickups? IF the covers are made for Humbuckers? 

Edited by NotaCGP

Not just any covers will fit correctly.  Probably best to get some Gibson ones that are made to fit over your pickups.  Look in the "accessories & lifestyle" section right on this site for the parts they sell.  Looks like Gibson offering some chrome ones for $20@.   Also StewMac is a good source for guitar parts and offer most things that we usually need like switches and buttons and so forth.  Do you know specifically what pickups are in your guitar?  335s have had a few different ones over the years.  '57 Classics were popular for awhile, then I think the MHS (Memphis historic spec) was used for awhile.  Many times Gibson uses 490 and 498 for guitars with uncovered pickups, but those would seem a little "hot" for a 335.  Slight differences could cause a pain in the neck to install.  Main thing I guess would be that the holes line up with the pole piece screws.

Good advice, thanks "Twang".  Sidebar: the record album that got me started on this road back in 1961 (when I purchased a used Les Paul Jr at a pawn shop  for $100). ((Big bucks for a grass cutter)).  Anyway the album was Duane Eddy's Million Dollars worth of Twang. Still got it.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:21 PM, NotaCGP said:

Good advice, thanks "Twang".  Sidebar: the record album that got me started on this road back in 1961 (when I purchased a used Les Paul Jr at a pawn shop  for $100). ((Big bucks for a grass cutter)).  Anyway the album was Duane Eddy's Million Dollars worth of Twang. Still got it.

I still have my one and only Duane Eddy album too "Twangin' Up a Storm"  from around '61 or '62.  Not sure it came out in the US, I was overseas at the time and the RCA album was made in Germany from masters that RCA had on file.  There were two versions: mono and stereo, I have a stereo one (very high tech for the time).