Gibson Brands Forums

White Castle 100th Anniversary

tx-ogre

We have most of the usual suspects (McDonalds, Burger Thing, Carl’s Jr., Steak n’ Shake, etc.).  The big “local” favorite of many is Whataburger.  It was founded in Corpus Christi in 1950.  There are restaurants throughout Texas and a few in the Florida Panhandle and also Phoenix and Tucson.  Dairy Queen is also a staple in many areas.  Seems like any town with a paved Main Street has an obligatory DQ.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

We have most of the usual suspects (McDonalds, Burger Thing, Carl’s Jr., Steak n’ Shake, etc.).  The big “local” favorite of many is Whataburger.  It was founded in Corpus Christi in 1950.  There are restaurants throughout Texas and a few in the Florida Panhandle and also Phoenix and Tucson.  Dairy Queen is also a staple in many areas.  Seems like any town with a paved Main Street has an obligatory DQ.

My favorite Texas chain.  We are getting a Whataburger here in Madison, Alabama. quite soon. 

I'm so excited!

😜

15 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

HA!  Burger "Thing"!   I like that.  [laugh]  Some of us called BK's signature product "The SLOPPER"!  [lol]

Damned things ARE a sloppy mess, eh? 

Back in the '60's too, there was a chain here in MI( and probably other states too) called "Burger Chef".  They weren't that bad.  And for a short time there was one place( I knew of no other locations) called "Borden Burger".  Yep.  A subsidiary of the Borden dairy company.  They were pretty good too.  But they weren't around all that long.  When they closed down and moved out, a friend of mine joked that, "They probably ran out of all the beef they could get out of Elsie and Elmer!"  \:D/

Whitefang

In the West... No White Castles but lots of mom and pop style drive in's on the highways in remote areas.

Bob's Big Boy and Carls' Jr was a drive in and wait in the parking lot with your lights on, Burger Chef and McDonalds appeared in the mid 60's at about the same time with no inside seating but a concrete bench outside usually attached to the building like Jack in the Box later copied, Burger King more modern and seemed to push out Burger Chef, Roy Rogers used Cattle 'O meat and I think Kangaroo later (bought out by Wendy's that used worm meal), Whataburger (super fresh veggies you smell the onions for blocks),  A&W a drive in with girls on skates like Sonic that came much later, Dairy Queen and Orange Julius drive in's also did burgers. But probably the biggest smash hit in the west in the last 20 yrs, was the family run "In N Out Burgers", they caused traffic jams in the shopping centers where they are located and had people taking orders in the parking lot from the cars trying to circle the building..

Edited by mihcmac

I see no mention at all of Everybody Goes To Gino's.  Gino's eventually stopped being a burger/chicken joint and morphed into what we call Kentucky Fried Chicken, that's what they had with their excellent McBurgers.

rct

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1