Gibson Brands Forums

can anyone confirm Wikipedia info on Les Paul Deluxe production '69-'74?

CH Smith

Wikipedia's entry for Les Paul guitars includes this line in the LP Deluxe section: "Until the end of the year 1974, 90% of the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe manufactured were Gold Top."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul

I've never seen this ratio of Gold Top to Sunburst -- can anyone confirm this? Elsewhere on the forum it's reported that 10,482 Deluxes were made in 1973. (I've got a '73 Sunburst)

If this ratio is close to correct, then there's about 9,000 Gold Tops and 1,000 Sunbursts in '73.  Given the number of Sunbursts around, it's hard to believe this ratio. Any answer much appreciated!  CH Smith

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, CH Smith said:

Hi Tvguit, thank you  very much for the reply.  I can't find a copy of that book anywhere, no used copies on eBay or elsewhere. CH Smith

You're welcome! Yes, it's been out of print for a while and copies are rarely listed for sale online. It isn't 100% reliable but I think helpful for situations like this. 

It's very helpful, thank you! I've scoured the web and found only incomplete numbers for random years and models, Next time you open the guide, I would really appreciate any numbers  listed for 1964 SGs and 1970 ES-335s...  I haven't been able to track down anything for those models / years.  Thank you again for taking the time to share your knowledge.  CH Smith

11 hours ago, CH Smith said:

It's very helpful, thank you! I've scoured the web and found only incomplete numbers for random years and models, Next time you open the guide, I would really appreciate any numbers  listed for 1964 SGs and 1970 ES-335s...  I haven't been able to track down anything for those models / years.  Thank you again for taking the time to share your knowledge.  CH Smith

You're welcome! Which SG model and which color ES-335 are you looking for? The book lists 1,375 SG Standards shipped in 1964 and 582 ES-335 Sunburst shipped in 1974. There's also a listing for Cherry and Walnut.

I made a quick reference guide for people looking for help dating a Gibson SG: How to date a Gibson SG.

18 minutes ago, tvguit said:

You're welcome! Which SG model and which color ES-335 are you looking for? The book lists 1,375 SG Standards shipped in 1964 and 582 ES-335 Sunburst shipped in 1974. There's also a listing for Cherry and Walnut.

I made a quick reference guide for people looking for help dating a Gibson SG: How to date a Gibson SG.

Your site is incredible, a real treasure trove --thank you for posting the URL.  Thanks to your page on SGs, I can confirm the SG is a '64.  The ES-335 is a sunburst with an orange label serial # 965128, the orange label leads me to believe it dates to early 1970. I have to say I've enjoyed your blog and I've barely started. You da man!  Thank you once again--CH Smith