Gibson Brands Forums

Frontier Shootout

cunningham26

I've never seen a video, but my own comparison shows that they are drastically different guitars that share a name and look. The USA model is lively, while the Masterbilt felt like the sound was trapped inside.

I've heard many complaints about the strings shipped with the Inspired by Gibson and Masterbilt acoustics making them sound worse than they are, but that's the best comparison I can make short of buying both and using the same strings.

having watched individual demos i think you're about right- aesthetically the same but that same epi/gibson gap. 

interesting you say the sound was trapped inside- that's definitely how i feel a lot of epi acoustics are that i've tried out. You can hear that someday they will sound great, but it's going to take years.

The 2020 lineup of Masterbilt and Inspired by Gibson models I've played - multiple J-45s and J-200s, the Texan, and Frontier - are well-built, good-looking guitars. But they have all sounded tinny, like the strings aren't driving the wood at all.  I've played several $500 models from other brands (some with laminate back and sides)  in the same time period that I'd pick over these any day. The Guild DS-240 is a great J-45 copy.