Gibson Brands Forums

Evertune.

jdgm

I think most forum members will have heard of the Evertune system?

Keeps a guitar in tune all the time from the bridge, a system of springs and levers according to Wiki - so it's not like Min-E-Tune, Tronical or G-force:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evertune

Company site -

https://www.evertune.com/shop/index.php

Someone was bound to think that way and care enough to eventually invent it I suppose.  Makes more sense if you have an Earvana or Buzz Feiten nut, doesn't it?

A bit OTT IMO but you know.....progress.......

I'd like to try it.   Hmmm?

:-k

Edited by jdgm

The interesting bit (to me) is that it doesn't re-tune electronically but maintains the tension of the string(s) to keep them in tune, and it does that with springs, like a trem.

So the guitar would feel very different to play from an ordinary fixed bridge. 

But...my guitars stay in tune well enough anyway.

My friend has one and I’m not a fan. It feels ok, but eliminates the possibility of using bends or vibrato. So it sounds really “stiff” which can be interesting for certain styles but overall I think it’s a big limitation. On a normal guitar I can play as stiff as I want but on the evertune I can’t move or shake any notes around. 

I think it’s an interesting contraption mechanically but as RCT alluded it’s sortof solving a non-issue while losing a ton of potential from the instrument 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Can we assume that a Mr. Rube Goldberg had a hand in designing this invention?

I've always used the previously designed left handed thumb and index finger to keep my guitars tuned. Work quite well, and I already owned them when I started playing the guitar many years ago.

This device is a solution to a non-existant problem that seems to have been designed merely to decrease the thickness of musicians' walkets.

I'll pass.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

I have one. I wouldn't do it again.

Worked well until I needed to change strings. Very difficult to get back in the zone. Can't bend (knew that going in). Had it changed from Eb to open E tuning for slide. Isn't in tune even pasta pro set up. I don't pretend to be anything but a decent guitar player. Should be for someone like me and more user friendly. There you have it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tman said:

Worked well until I needed to change strings. Very difficult to get back in the zone. Can't bend (knew that going in). Had it changed from Eb to open E tuning for slide. Isn't in tune even pasta pro set up. I don't pretend to be anything but a decent guitar player. Should be for someone like me and more user friendly. There you have it.

A pasta pro set up is centered around the linguini principle. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tman said:

Thankyou Tman (and Dub) - I wanted to hear from someone who has used one.   Presume you have to use fairly light strings too?

I hope you are well and your house is getting rebuilt. Best wishes.

I haven't had an electric ax for many moons.  But when I did the Super Slinky's I used were flexible enough to bend notes without getting out of tune.  And I've done some serious bending. 

This device seems to me as unnecessary as the "surround sound" center speaker.

Whitefang

11 hours ago, jdgm said:

Thankyou Tman (and Dub) - I wanted to hear from someone who has used one.   Presume you have to use fairly light strings too?

I hope you are well and your house is getting rebuilt. Best wishes.

Thanks jdgm,  the house is about 2 months out so getting close! I’ll post some photos

19 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Curious. So unlike a Floyd Rose which detunes remaining strings during a bend, this absorbs the bend?! 

Sounds like the solution to a small problem that creates a bigger problem. In that respect it is like a FR. 

Exactly. The tuning "zone" which stretches across a range of string tension actually absorbs the bend as you surmised. It is possible to bend if you can tune the string towards the extreme range of the function tension but I wasn't able to do it successfully and I bend a lot. So I decided to tune to an open tuning (E), raise the action and play where I don't bend - slide. I didn't want to just throw it away.

I sent in an inexpensive Warmoth parts caster and they (Evertune) mounted the bridge. Seemed a waste to sell for a loss so I'm trying to make do.

Edited by Tman
I spelled evertune wrongly as everyone. Completely changed the meaning.
  • Thanks 1

ESP (espguitars.com) and their subsidiary, Ltd guitars, have quite a few 6 and 7 string models models that have come stock with the EverTune system for years.  From the reviews that I have seen, those that have them seem to like them.

15 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

ESP (espguitars.com) and their subsidiary, Ltd guitars, have quite a few 6 and 7 string models models that have come stock with the EverTune system for years.  From the reviews that I have seen, those that have them seem to like them.

May be....  But many people have trouble admitting to making any mistakes.  [wink]

Whitefang

So each string has its own spring, a different amount of tension spring for each string? It seems you would have to push a little farther to get a bend, at some point the device would stop compensating because of the "Bend Stop".

Edited by mihcmac

That's what I thought.....but you are pushing against spring tension to start with - which doesn't happen on a fixed-bridge and happens in a different way with a Strat trem, or a Bigsby.

So it's fighting against the bend.   

I think....:-k

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

May be....  But many people have trouble admitting to making any mistakes.  [wink]

Whitefang

Could be.  I have an Ltd bass and two Ltd guitars (a 6 string and a 7 string).  Both guitars have string-thru bodies and tune-o-magic bridges.  I have not become adventurous enough to take a road trip to EverTune land yet.  😉