Gibson Brands Forums

ES-125C 1969

Asperous

Purchased a guitar online which is something I've never done before but took a chance.

It is a 1969 ES-125C and it arrived today. I was stunned when I unpacked and opened the case. Other than a few tiny nicks on the headstock the guitar is flawless. It literally looks new - no lacquer checking at all. The seller said it has not been refinished but that is hard to believe. However, if it has been refinished it is the best refinish I've ever encountered. Is it possible that Gibson was no longer using lacquer by 1969? Is is possible a lacquer finish could last that long without checking?

Duckduckgo hasn't been helpful in finding annual shipping totals on this specific year/model.  I've found total shipping  for all years of the ES-125C indicating around 470ish but nothing that breaks that down by year.  A source on those numbers would be appreciated if anyone knows.

I'm new to this forum and not sure how to share pictures.

Cheers to all,

According to A.R. Duchossoir's book, 475 ES-125C's were produced between 1965 and 1970.  He specifies that 87 were produced in 1965, but he doesn't list the totals for each year after that (the book's parameters cut off at that point).

The finish on your guitar absolutely appears to be original.  Refins- especially sunbursts- are almost never able to be duplicated to that level of quality of color and shading.

Congratulations on finding a pretty rare Gibson beauty!