Gibson Brands Forums

Loose saddle?

Gilmourized

Hi,

the saddle of my 2018 J-35 is thinner than the slot, there appears to be a 0.1/0.2 mm (roughly the thickness of a sheet of paper) gap between the back of the saddle and the back edge of the slot; the saddle itself leans forward a little and it'll fall out if I flip the guitar over when the strings are off the guitar. This is the stock saddle from the factory.

I don't notice particular issues with the sound as is, except for a slight ghost note on the F (5th string, 8th fret). Not sure that's related, though. Anyway, if I can improve the sound a little I'm all for it. 

Do you guys think I'd better replace this saddle? I'm thinking of giving Bob Colosi's saddles a shot.

Thanks!

Edited by Gilmourized

1 hour ago, Gilmourized said:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've actually edited the measurement since it's actually about the size of one or two sheets of paper

Normally shims are meant to go under the saddle, but talking about sheets of paper, I actually side-shimmed a saddle which had a leaning-problem with a paper-stripe.                                                                                       Not ideal, but I try to avoid replacing the special type of bone because it corresponds with the nut. 

I'd replace the saddle, and Colosi saddles are what I use. They come slightly thicker and a little sanding makes them fit nicely, make sure the bottom is dead flat. I think a better fitting saddle is an easy, low cost way to ensure the best sound transmission through the guitar top. All the best with this on your J-35.

3 hours ago, Gilmourized said:

...Do you guys think I'd better replace this saddle? I'm thinking of giving Bob Colosi's saddles a shot.

Thanks!

Awhile back I had a Bob Colosi saddle installed in my 2016 J-35 and the guy who did the work (Kevin Schwab at St. Paul Guitar Repair) said the original saddle was too thin so it was leaning in the saddle slot and not making good contact with the bridge. Since I always change the strings one at a time, I never noticed how loose it was.

The Colosi saddle was a marked improvement and Kevin fit it to the slot perfectly. It's turned out very well.

Edited by dhanners623