Gibson Brands Forums

Chance to add an ES-355TD "barn find" to the family - Any advice appreciated!

Jimmytf86

Hello all!

I am new to the forum but  I've enjoyed a 2006 Gibson Explorer Natural since I bought it second hand in 2010.

Now I have the chance to buy a 355TD serial nº726704 and I am having a hard time figuring out its condition, originality and value.

From my research I believe it is a trapeze tailpiece from between 1962-1964 (most likely 1964) with block inlay fretboard and a shorter pickguard.

I have seen it live, but haven't tried it yet (strings look really nasty) so I wanted to be more through with my research as I am no expert on 355s.

My biggest concern are those Gibson branded pickups, as I have not seen any 355s whatsoever with the logo on them. Might just be that the covers were swapped or even worst, the whole pickups at some point. Should have "patent as numbered" pickups underneath there somewhere. Also, it has lived in a rather damp environment and lacking proper care for many years.

Is there anything else I should look out for when trying this beauty?

What would be a reasonable valuation given the condition?

I appreciate any help and look forward to reading on the group's inputs.

Thank you all.

Jimmy.

PS: I apologise for the quality of the photos!

IMG-20210917-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20210917-WA0043.jpg

IMG-20210917-WA0049.jpg

IMG-20210917-WA0050.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The embossed pickup covers were only used from late '70 thru Late '72, with some stragglers in early '73. The purple label matches that period, too. And the trapeze wasn't in use in '62-'64; they were using stop tails until '65. If people just check the serial #, they can be completely misled because Gibson re-used many of them. I'd say it's right in that '71-'72 era. 

Looks like a beauty, though - I'd happily grab it. Just don't pay '62-'64 prices for it 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

made in usa stamped headstock came after 1970. its almost certainly 70-72- check the pots for a date code to be sure. the embossed gibson covers never came on the 335. the y were likely swapped out of an L-5, and were produced from 1969-1975. this info is all available in the gruhns guide. as far as being damp. as long as its not moldy youre in good shape. too dry is the worst it tends to pull itself apart. just dry it very slowly over the course of a year perhaps keep it in the basement for 6 months where its cool and mostly dry . then bring it upstairs in the ac

Edited by jamfu