Gibson Brands Forums

DanvillRob

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I feel somehow embarrassed that I am attracted to songs about pickup trucks,  dogs,   prison  and  dance halls -  

You reminded me of the a verse in David Allen Coe song, "You Never Even Call Me by My Name".

(spoken:) Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song, and he told me it was the perfect country and western song. I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country and western song because he hadn't said anything at all about momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison or gettin' drunk. Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to this song and he sent it to me and after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country and western song. And I felt obliged to include it on this album. The last verse goes like this here:

Well, I was drunk the day my momma got out of prison,

And I went to pick her up in the rain.

But before I could get to the station in the pick-up truck,

She got runned over by a damned old train.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, gearbasher said:

You reminded me of the a verse in David Allen Coe song, "You Never Even Call Me by My Name".

(spoken:) Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song, and he told me it was the perfect country and western song. I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country and western song because he hadn't said anything at all about momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison or gettin' drunk. Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to this song and he sent it to me and after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country and western song. And I felt obliged to include it on this album. The last verse goes like this here:

Well, I was drunk the day my momma got out of prison,

And I went to pick her up in the rain.

But before I could get to the station in the pick-up truck,

She got runned over by a damned old train.

Song was written by Steve AND John Prine!  I'm not sure why John never got writing credits.

It was one of the songs in my old repertoire I'm recording for my grandsons.