Gibson Brands Forums

The elusive Forever Guitar

nickh90

Good Morning and I hope whoever's reading this is having a fantastic start to their day. 

I'm writing to mostly ask for assistance in narrowing down a Gibson model that will be absolutely perfect to begin my guitar journey with- something that is light and comfortable- but is also eye catchingly beautiful. I must be honest and share that I am known by first and last name at my local and even further away guitar center stores and while the employees are wonderful I can't help but feel a bit ashamed that I am having such a struggle selecting the perfect forever guitar; this translates into many different exchanges and returns for different models. Furthering the transparency ill add that I've had a love affair with the fender telecaster and weirdly ended up purchasing a Stratocaster American professional II in mercury due to the belly cuts and comfort cut for the picking arm. I must share that the advice I was always given is only consider Gibson if you know exactly the sound and shape of the instrument you want. I may be getting misguided as is the plight of many newcomers entering a new hobby and this is the reason for this email: I'm looking to get one guitar and I cannot take my hearts interest out of the Gibson brand of guitars. 

I'm sure this email is confusing as I have a slight difficulty communicating with others- so much so that usually I would delete this and be without the guitar due to how uncomfortable interacting with others can be, however, this is highly important to me, in all honesty I got laid off a few weeks ago and I am having a heck of a time with it and want to distract myself with music.
 but if it wasn't clear- im a newcomer who has entered the world of guitars and after months of daily trips to every guitar store around where the employees know me by name I still haven't chosen the right guitar. 
there is a slight frustration you encounter when you try finding the perfect guitar as the guitar stores around here operate on commission and the employees weren't shy about sharing this and some even voiced their frustration with losing the sale on someone who couldn't make their mind up.. this is hurtful as I am just trying to find the right guitar and if they only knew how ashamed I felt being unable to decide based on their stock and willingness to share guanine information so I could make the best decision. I have not bought one Gibson due to the advice they gave about the brand and this is why im emailing Gibson directly- I am seeking to fall in love with an instrument and as my father always tells me: Fender makes Tools- Gibson makes Instruments. 

have a wonderful day and I look forward to hearing from you!

Look at some Les Paul styles - Classic, Custom, Studio etc.  The Studios are the lighter models usually.

Also look at the ES 335 style of semi-acoustics.

I don't quite understand or agree with the advice that you should exactly know the sound and shape you want.  Do you want a solid body or a semi? 

It is very easy to over-think this!  What invariably happens is that you will buy a guitar, fall in love and probably then out of love with it when another guitar with a beautiful finish and/or different features takes your eye.  So you chop and change. 

And many (of us) acquire more guitars one way or another as a result.

Best wishes!

I don't know if you can actually buy a "forever guitar." I don't like to get into the romanticization of guitars that so many people do, but an instrument will become "forever" after some time with it. Every guitar I own, I like. Sometimes I love one and sometimes I don't, and that's why I have multiple. If you told me to eliminate them all except one electric and one acoustic, my choice would be simple.

If you can't decide, rather than buying and returning, just try in the store regularly. See what you go back to. I have a good relationship with my local store and have played practically everything they have, from $500 to $10,000. I know what I would buy if the money were handed to me. You have to take the pressure off.

nickh90, I think I understand your plight.  I've got 4 or 5 guitars, any of which is my "forever" guitar depending on my mood, what music I'm into at the moment, which of my "forever" amps I'm playing through at the time, etc., etc., etc.  As jdgm suggested, one can over-think this.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

With the exception of a Gibson Firebird VII that I purchased used and subsequently sold to provide $$$ to upgrade by bass rig, I still own every other guitar and bass (7 guitars and 3 basses) that I have purchased over the years.  I have never had any desire to sell any of them so far.  So I guess you could say they are all “forever” guitars.  😁

This has been a fantastic thread full of incredibly helpful responses. 

I do believe I am romanticizing the event at hand here but to be fair I don’t have anything else in my life going on right now and I think I’m getting more out of This than simply buying a guitar. 

first and foremost I need to audition a Gibson SG 61 and SG standard so I can make a decision. I will be doing so tomorrow. I drove there today but I turned around in the parking lot cause I felt ashamed of not being able to find something yet. 

I suppose I’ll update this if anyone is interested 

16 hours ago, nickh90 said:

I drove there today but I turned around in the parking lot cause I felt ashamed of not being able to find something yet. 

Sounds like more going on here than a finding a guitar problem there buddy.

rct

Welle I ended up going to multiple guitar stores all around Atlanta and consequently I checked out every sg available which was three in total at as many stores and unfortunately it was a reminder of the quality control being an issue as all three had issues of one sort of the other. 

the first had itself behind the counter in an unsaleable state due to the pickups engaging different modes while you play. 

the second had binding on the fretboard and glue or something coming out from where the neck met the body  

the last one was the sg standard with the neck that begins on the 17th fret and I just  Found the balance better on the 61 reissue. This one wasn’t considered further due to the slight change in sound between the pickups I noticed using the same amps- well, brands and models of course

i would love to grab a Gibson sg but it sort of put a bit of doubt in my mind. Going further I will have to play every one  I consider as the price they ask and the quality I see- it’s just not enough. 

I tried one at guitar center I’ve just remembered- I loved that big beautiful red body. The sound unplugged was what I enjoyed the most- I could practice while still being able to hear it. Plus the mellowness of playing that guitar is something I’ve never been able to experience personally so maybe we are perfect for one another.