Gibson Brands Forums

I got scammed today, picked up a fake LP

Rusty Mcdangles

On 9/20/2021 at 2:30 PM, Rusty Mcdangles said:

Ya I don’t own a lot of electrics so thought I’d give it a try, had no idea honestly, I looked up the number online and said it was legit. Guy said he had changed the pick ups, it sounds pretty decent to be honest, just a shame…my acoustic was worth $1000+. Lesson learned I guess.

this is the glaring problem with counterfeits and why it's damn shame no one does anything about.. 

It's one thing to disclose the fact it's not authentic, it's another entirely to goad someone into a deal, knowing full well what they have and what YOU are giving up in trade.

Some people are bound to give humanity a bad name,, like this jack a$$ you ran into.

I'm sorry this happened all the same.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, M-T-Pockets said:

So how do you know for sure this is fake (the headstock doesn't look right, but I'm no expert).  

It's very obviously fake. The only way it isn't is if they hired someone new and gave them free run of the factory with a guidebook but no live training.. and let them bring parts from home.

I'm not so sure...

Serial number: 017160676

Production year: June 20, 2006 (Batch:0 Product nr.: 176) 

(Manufactured in Nashville)

Most of the 06 Standards I have looked at have a blank nut cover, like the 06 below and others just say Standard. His doesn't look right, like its an aftermarket cover.

6803858446_9c934e8f0a_n.jpg

To me the hardware looks correct, the seller said he changed the PU's, I can't tell from the photos of the headstock if its a three piece or not and it looks like a factory installed Bigsby

So I'm thinking it would be worth contacting Gibson Support

1-800-4GIBSON

or contact https://www.gibson.com/Support/Customer-Service

Also you can submit a form for possible Counterfeit.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Report-Counterfeits

Edited by mihcmac
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

This is… VERY obviously fake..

If you’re struggling to figure out if this is real or not, you probably shouldn’t weigh in on the subject at all. Or maybe you’re having a bad day. 

I can’t identify a single part that looks real or correct for an LP Standard

So you are credible enough to stand in a lawsuit that it is a fake?

mihcmac with all due respect it is clear that you don’t know what to look for regardless of the photo resolution

If you have any questions I can easily answer them but as I said literally every part of the guitar is wrong. 

Without even getting into specifics, ask yourself what finish is this even supposed to be similar to from the Les Paul Standard lineup over the years? When has Gibson ever made a Les Paul Standard with a factory installed Chinese bigsby copy? Even just pretending that’s a real Bigsby, when has Gibson ever made their flagship model in that color with that hardware? 

You’re looking for headstock wings on a headstock with the wrong finish, decal/printed serial number, wrong shape, wrong tuners, wrong inlay, wrong silkscreen, etc etc etc

Your probably right, I have only been looking at Gibsons for 60 years.

On one of my translucent Cherry finished guitars when the light hits it wrong it just looks solid red. Even on this black Gibson Custom below has a questionable looking SN.

H4091-L171599235.jpg

on his I see blurred out tuners, but this 06 Standard below you can see Gibson Deluxe and the 3 piece headstock.

1200px-2006_Gibson_Les_Paul_Standard_(SN

All I'm saying is there is not enough information to determine on way or another without taking it into a credible luthier and having it checked out.

Edited by mihcmac

I am definitely right, everyone else who said this is fake were right, and being old doesn’t really qualify you here. 

Your transluscent red guitar that you’re comparing to is an Epiphone or Gibson?

Gibson has implemented many changes over the years, this matches none of them. I am aware of all serial number formats that have been used on Gibson Les Pauls. I am aware of all headstock shapes and tuner configurations available on Les Paul Standards. This matches none of them. 

Again if you have any questions feel free to ask. I was only suggesting that you lack the knowledge to make any kind of evaluation here