Gibson Brands Forums

Trip to Fuller's last weekend

thegreatgumbino

I spent 3 hours at Fuller's last Friday.   They have a large selection of great sounding Gibson acoustics on the walls, but I went specifically to play the J185's.  I'm gassing for for one, but have been unable to find one that did it for me.  That said, I don't have cash in hand to purchase one and would have to sell misc gear/stuff to make the purchase.  There were two nice J185's, but neither really made me want to buy them.  

My Gibson stable is currently a SJ200, J45 Vintage and an Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird.  I've always wanted a Hummingbird and tried many, but never found one that screamed buy me.  The closest I've come was one of the Sheryl Crow Country Western Supreme models I played at Fuller's last year.  It was excellent, but the pick guard and red back/sides didn't do it for me.  My Epiphone IBG is a great guitar which currently tickles my fancy for one (A-B'd against the Gibsons that were available in GC when I purchased it and it won out).  

That said, I spent a lot of time playing a 2021 Gibson Hummingbird 1960's at Fuller's this trip.  Amazing guitar!  $4,900 out the door price tag, and I tried to justify spending the money on it.  Worked through all the things I could sell to get close.  Tried to talk myself into just buying it knowing I'd regret it if I didn't.  In the end I walked out empty handed and have gone back and forth about making it happen.  Ultimately, $5k is just too much for me to drop at this point in my life.  My IBG Bird isn't close to the Bird I played, but it scratches the itch for a fraction of the price and is a fun guitar to play.  I really liked the 1950's J45 burst too as the thicker necks do it for me.

The surprise of the trip were the two Epiphone Frontiers they had.  Fantastic guitars!  I fully expected to not like them, but they were beautiful and both played/sounded amazing and were much lighter than anticipated.  Not a fan of the look and don't want to own one, but man they were fun.

In a nutshell, Gibson is making some great guitars right now, and Fullers has a whole gaggle of them.  

Edited by thegreatgumbino
  • Like 1

Heps for this report. Always splendid to hear these stories - you know exactly what's goin' on and then all the tiny nuances spice things up. 

The urge to get a Hummingbird home is fully understood, but yes, it has to be the right one. A pretty wide and relative concept.                                                                                                                                         thegreatgumbino - isn't the second hard market where you should do your hunting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I know it's harder to try the guitars in person that way, but still. If there are Birds within driving-radius, why not take the ride.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Any Hummingbird would be worth it - and the more you try the more you know.     

Good luck - let the GAS reports continue                                                                                                                                                                                

1 hour ago, Rosinante said:

I take it you didn’t make it to check out what stock guitar Rez has yet?

I haven't made the trip, but I did email with the shop.  They sent me a list of their NOS Gibsons.  Not sure about posting it here, but I can share privately with anyone that's interested.  They have a couple rare items available at decent prices.

I have my slope shoulder jumbo (6 and 12 string) , super jumbo, and smaller body Gibson bases covered.  What is missing is a square shoulder model.   But I am also stuck in a place where I want Old School bracing but not an Old School neck carve.  So for the time being I will do what I do best when it comes to guitars which is nothing.

Edited by zombywoof

The new 60s HBird's are great guitars. Gibson really did them right! I found a used one about 6 months ago and it's so much better sounding than the Standard Bird it replaced. If you find a used one it should save you about 1500 off the price you referenced. Takes the sting out of owning one of these beautiful instruments. Fullers sounds like a cool place to hang out and play some nice guitars.

Edited by TomPhx

52 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’ve given up the Birds. They break your heart. And when you get the right gal, you screw it up and let her go.  🙂

I owned an IBG Hummingbird. Really an excellent guitar in its own right. But not the one…

Man if you played that one… and loved it… trade beg steal borrow!

Yes, , , it must be realized that H-birds and you just wasn't meant to be. Glad we still have the films.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Said it before : Why not try that Dove. . 

I was in Fuller's about a month ago.  I know Mike, but I did not see him on this trip.  My late wife added Mike's 39 Kay S-51 to her "collection" of 5-string standup basses  -- she brought it back to Georgia and left her other 39 Kay S-51 in Texas -- it is in this room right now.

As many of you know, I am pretty much only interested in vintage and perhaps trying vintage copies now and then to see what those are like.  I guess I am not buying -- but I like to keep track of what is happening in the market and never say never.

I only do acoustic instruments.  What I found at Fuller's was similar to what I saw a Gruhn's a month earlier -- lots of high end vintage copies and almost no actual vintage.  I talked to the sales guy (blues guy) quite awhile and he said internet sales were pretty brisk.  The actual store was pretty empty of people.

Let's pick,

-Tom

There's a used one on AGF for $3,500. I commented with a GLWS thing, bat have no affiliation at all. Being a fan of my red 'bird, getting a baked version sounds tempting enough to put the HC J45 up for sale. It's a 'bird thing, I think.

Not sure if it's kosher to post a link to there, but it's easy to find.