Gibson Brands Forums

New Generation Collection

BoSoxBiker

I played a G-45 this weekend, and was not impressed. I know its a satin finish, but it looks cheap and unfinished. $1199 and you get a gig bag, and I guess the second hole is free of charge. The sound hole makes it a bit louder, and you can tell when you strum it and cover it and uncover it.

I think next year these will be out of production.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, ajay said:

If You want, I can cut one for you. you will need a piece of sandpaper to make it fit perfectly, but I'll be glad to send You one like mine out of Teak. You will just have to sand it for a perfect fit. Sanding takes more time than cutting it, but I'll send You one that's very close to fitting.

To make the pattern, I laid a piece of paper over the Player Port, and shone a flashlight through the front soundhole. Then I just traced the pattern by following the edge of the light shining on the paper. I'll make you one out of the Teak, because the color and even the grain match.

I bought mine for a camping guitar. I have a great Advanced Jumbo that I bought new in '02. I just wanted the least expensive Gibson 45. Mine is really a good sounding guitar. It doesn't have the finished sound of my AJ, BUT every time we go camping I'm borrowing a guitar to play. Now I don't have to borrow one anymore. It's a super plain guitar, but I will never buy a Takamine, Breedlove, Taylor, or anything else. I play Gibsons, and that's why I bought it. I am going to buy a 1934 Original Jumbo, but we have. big campout next weekend, and i finally have a guitar that I can drop or knock it over, and just say, "Oh, well". That's all tht these guitars will ever be. Something to play.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was poking around on Reverb and this came up. Scroll down once you click the link. Apparently this design was locked away deep in the Gibson Archives for generations (see what I did). It probably took them all this time to be able to afford and install new light bulbs to be able to see in the sacred archive vault. Next up Gibson claims they invented space travel. I've seen them in two stores. Both only had the budget J-45-ish two hole ones. Played one. They looked cheap and didn't sound like a guitar I wanted to own. I know its satin finished but it looks like raw wood, and looks as bad as the cheap Mexican made Martins.

https://reverb.com/featured/gibson-generation-acoustic-guitars

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I like the way the handmade  in Mexico Martins look and play..  No frills, high quality solid spruce tops (true they have no finish, but they sound really good and still sound like Martins), technologically engineered and eco friendly wood sides, back and neck that actually sonically sound good, nice shaped neck.  They pay homage to traditions while still being modern eco friendly guitars while still playing/sounding like Martins.  Martin is way ahead of the pack with their innovations on their made in Mexico guitars and they’re handmade to boot, not machine made.

Sgt.  Pepper, we differ on this one pertaining to how Martins look that are made in Mexico.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

10 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Sgt.  Pepper, we differ on this one pertaining to how Martins look that are made in Mexico.

I play them side by side the ‘Merican made ones, and to me they are what they are. They don’t look or sound as good at least to me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have made a few caps for the Player Port. I made one for jricc and sent it to him. He may be able to tell you his experience with it. I got the first G-45 by Sweetwater, and my Sweetwater engineer picked the guitar out for me, and he had a bunch to try. I am very happy with mine. Being an Advanced Jumbo player since 2002, I have a good source for comparison. Obviously, it doesn't blow my AJ out of the water, but I am not at all disappointed with the sound of my G-45. And with the Player Port capped, it just sounds like a really good J-45. 

jricc and I have both chosen the LR Baggs M1A Soundhole pickup, and I 'm very happy with the amplified sound with the Port capped.  One thing bout mineis that it has the look of being Quartersawn. I took it out of the Gig Bag expecting to see that swirly Walnut grain that You usually see, and mine had vertical straight vertical lines all the way across. I thought that perhaps this could partially account for the pleasing tone of my G-45. I would be interested in hearing jricc's experience with the Player Port capped. I sent his almost fitted, but it needed a little sandpaper work to fit it to his liking, because that takes more time than just cutting it to the "almost fitted' shape.

My theory is that Gibson made these guitars to get more Gibson acoustics on the racks in the stores after any closings or craftsmen losing time at work from Covid. Considering that it's their biggest opening for a line of Gibson acoustics ever, they must have saved thousands of man hours by making these of a simple design, and skipping hours of work for each of these guitars. If my guitar souded like a piece of cheap dung, I would say it. But I have to report my experience after hours spent playing my new Gibson, and this will be the last Gibson that I own. I'm old, and I will sell all but this G-45, and I will leave itto my Goddaughter, who has been playing the 70's Epiphone Japanese dread that I enjoyed for 40 years. She guards that old Epiphone with her life, and only her boyfriend or mike night friends of hers are allowed to play it. Like this inexpensive guitar, that old plywood Epiphone has amazingly good sound. Inexpensive doesn't automatically mean crap.

• Like 1

Adding to ajay's comments.  I really like my G-00.   The port cap he made for me is almost fitted.  Still a little more sanding to do, and I must confess, for my tastes, it sounds better with the cap covering the port.  It warms up the tone,  a lot.   Thanks much ajay. 

I originally said I didn't buy this guitar because of the "Player Port",  but because I wanted an affordable (for me)  Gibson small body made in the US.   In my opinion,  it's a nice sounding walnut/spruce  guitar that I can gig with.

Edited by jricc

53 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So why buy a guitar with 2 holes and then cover one up?

Yah.   I would go out and get one of those guitars that only has one sound hole - but it's not in the middle - it's on the face way up  by the upper bout.   Sort of shaped like a  kidney or a Nike swish.   No more dropping in picks or worrying if the pick guard is covering part of the rosette.   Offset Soundholes !   the best of both worlds.  Even better if the guitar is made our of bamboo or particle board.  

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yah.   I would go out and get one of those guitars that only has one sound hole - but it's not in the middle - it's on the face way up  by the upper bout.   Sort of shaped like a  kidney or a Nike swish.   No more dropping in picks or worrying if the pick guard is covering part of the rosette.   Offset Soundholes !   the best of both worlds.  Even better if the guitar is made our of bamboo or particle board.  

I think Ovation beat you to it and this other beauty too. Not exactly the Nike swooosh but its close.

iI0OJFj.jpg

rbvbt8s.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I Picked up the new G-45 at Sam ash Yesterday. For me its a Great sounding Guitar with two sound holes or not. I love the no Frills part of it and the Price!  And the fact they are hand made in Bozeman Mt. is a real Plus!!! Okay they have a Gig bag - but a very nice one and I don't plan to fly anywhere with it in the near future.  I totally feel Gibson hit a home run with these guitars! And being a Martin guy most of my life - Recent Gibson guitars have really impressed me.  I totally understand they are not for everyone but for the price and where their made I think its hard to go wrong.  Are they as nice as my Hummingbird - hardly - But they are a dam nice guitar!

Chk - out the back-699A053E-60C0-40BD-B8A9-F3AE043D0CBF_LR.heic

Edited by Gasman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

I Picked up the new G-45 at Sam ash Yesterday. For me its a Great sounding Guitar with two sound holes or not. I love the no Frills part of it and the Price!  And the fact they are hand made in Bozeman Mt. is a real Plus!!! Okay they have a Gig bag - but a very nice one and I don't plan to fly anywhere with it in the near future.  I totally feel Gibson hit a home run with these guitars! And being a Martin guy most of my life - Recent Gibson guitars have really impressed me.  I totally understand they are not for everyone but for the price and where their made I think its hard to go wrong.  Are they as nice as my Hummingbird - hardly - But they are a dam nice guitar!

Chk - out the back-699A053E-60C0-40BD-B8A9-F3AE043D0CBF_LR.heic

They use CNC machines in Montana. I may be wrong but I don’t think I am.

I wanted to have the option to cap the player port, because I installed an LR BAGGS M1A Soundhole pickup. I want all of the sound coming out of the front soundhole Zif I'm running it through thE PA or into th board for recording.

tpbill was talking about a very high end custom that he borrowed at a bluegrass festival. This guitar had a great sound either with or without the player soundhole capped. I think capping the player port must be a good thing to do if tpbill sees it as a useful addition to. great guitar.

SGT. PEPPER, You're one of the most negative people that I've ever seen on the Gibson board, and you are definitely not the world's leading guitar critic OR guitar expert. Now tpbill, I would definitely see him as both. To some people, every glass is half full unless it happens to be their glass. I guess what I'm trying to say is eff yoo.