Gibson Brands Forums

Low-cryogenically treated frets WORN DOWN on SG Gibson

SG Sydney

LHi guys, I have a 2019 SG Gibson Standard Heritage Cherry Red bought brand new in  2019.  Manufactured October 2018 as in Gibson warranty card . According to specifications on Gibson sites it comes with Low- cryogenically treated frets ( resistance to wear) . My frets had divets on them ( mainly on 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets) after 1 year and 9 months of playing and had to have them Level, crowned and polished which I did without hesitation because it's a killer guitar, it's a keeper. Just want to know if any one else has had this problem with low - cryogenically treated frets or is it just hype.

I dont know for certain, but I suspect its not especially effective. I'm not sure if my Gibson have cryogenically treated frets or not, but the brass nut on the LP was described as such, and Gibson replaced most of them retrospectively because they did wear very quickly. 

Most metal treatments are heat processes (stress relief, annealing etc). Cryogenics are a freeze process. Not something I'm up on.

Gibson have been using cryogenically treated fretwire for some years now IIRC.

I don't think the frets are warranted for any longer than the rest of the guitar though!  You must have played it a lot. [thumbup]

The freezing process re-orders the molecular chains or something like that.   Some even treat pickups cryogenically and swear it improves the tone, and there was a craze for freezing CDs before playing them a few years back. 

Interesting articles  -

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cryogenic+guitar+pickups

Edited by jdgm

10 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I have those frets on an LP and they're very durable.  It's probably just been played a lot.

Yeah I do play the SG often.....I think they released the 2019 models with medium jumbo frets as well. Mine are low frets thou....anyway they have been fixed now.....more playing.....cheers 

5 hours ago, jdgm said:

Gibson have been using cryogenically treated fretwire for some years now IIRC.

I don't think the frets are warranted for any longer than the rest of the guitar though!  You must have played it a lot. [thumbup]

The freezing process re-orders the molecular chains or something like that.   Some even treat pickups cryogenically and swear it improves the tone, and there was a craze for freezing CDs before playing them a few years back. 

Interesting articles  -

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cryogenic+guitar+pickups

Yeah guitar came with a 1 year warranty from new......when I first got it I played all the time.....all fixed now......good to take it to a guitar tech every 2 years or so to get it checked over.....keep it looking and sounding good......I can do basic setups but crowning frets, that's definitely job for the pro's.....I'll check out those articles that you sent ...cheers .....