Gibson Brands Forums

After a break

tlwwalker

I play geezer rock once a week with four other great guys. We have a blast. We don't take ourselves too seriously and we do it for the camraderie as much as anything else. That said, we like to sound as good as we can. 

Occasionally, we have to skip a week due to scheduling issues as we all have full time jobs and lives outside or our music effort. Strangely, we seem to sound quite tight - better - upon return. It's like the brief break does us some good.

Doth this happen to anyone else?

Tom

I've found the same thing happens often with me.  Don't know if it's just the pent up enthusiasm and expectations that accumulated during the layoff.  But the enjoyment is certainly higher.   Maybe the other side of it is:   'The law of diminishing returns' when you play every day.  (Everything I play has a 'geezer' modification attached. Starting with the songs I'm attracted to. ) 

I’ve thought this at times also, but,  is it that we’ve  missed playing with the Group so much that it sounds great even though it really might not sound as good as you think?

Record yourselves & listen to it the next day… Therein lies the truth….

If it does sound great post it here!

Edited by Larsongs

Geezer rock?   Is that younger guys playing moldie oldies or older guys playing what they grew up listening to?    I go both ways.  The tune I am currently working on is a WWII period pop song "Coming in on a Wing & a Prayer."  I sure as hell was not around to hum that one when it was getting airplay.  But I also finally came up with a fingerpicked version of the Stones "Honky Tonk Woman"  which I am happy with.

I did take a break once.  But was for 15 or so years.  Somewhere along the way playing music just stopped being fun so I walked away.  When I re-emerged nothing tight or precise about it.  It took a bit for the muscle memory to kick back in.  Once that happened though it was off to the races.  No more bands though - just backing or sitting in with others. But since then it has become a matter of changing the way I approach a guitar as my fingers will no longer easily do what they once did.  Kind of when you tell a doctor it hurts when I do this and they respond with then don't do that.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, duluthdan said:

Geezer rock…I love it. 

Sounds like they’re singing about the majority of us…lol……. I think if for some reason I can’t play, then next time I play I’m more excited about playing and kind of focus more on what I’m doing.  I’m kind of at that stage where I  can’t get any worse and there’s no-way-in-hell I can get any better.

Edited by MissouriPicker

OK The Set List  Thank you for asking.

Sweet Home Chicago E

Lay Down Sally A

Listen To The Music E

Melissa E

Rikki Don't Lose That Number D

Can't You See D

Midnight Rider C

I'm No Angel E

One Way Out A

Just What I Needed E

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Am

Revival A

Running on Empty A

The Weight G

Sweet Home Alabama

Take It Easy G

Peaceful Easy Feeling E

Already Gone G

Ohio C

There Goes Another Love Song G

Sultans of Swing Dm

Willin’ G

Blue Sky E

Honeysuckle Blue A

Long Train Runnin Gm

Knockin On Heavens Door G

Up On Cripple Creek A

Down By The River Em

Funk #49 A

Blue On Black D

Simple Man C

Gimme Three Steps D

Straight To Hell G

Feelin Alright C

Mary Jane's Last Dance Am

American Girl D

The Boys Are Back In Town A

Dude. This is like my set list. That you Pa?

this is my set list for a gig tomorrow night

• Slower songs
• Tin Man
• American Girl capo 2 D
• Tequila Sunrise
• In My Room  D  (mike capo 2 C)
• No Expectations    Dropped D
• New Kid In Town  (E)
• America    capo 2
• For What It's Worth
• Shame On The Moon
• Take It Easy
• Heart Of Gold
• Harvest Moon  (dropped D)
• Comes A Time
• She's No Lady
• Ripple capo 7 C
• You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
• How Sweet It Is
• Drive  (G  capo2)
• Jet Airliner  (G capo 2)
• Amie  capo 2 G
• More Upbeat Later Songs
• No No Song
• Loves Me Like A Rock
• Night Moves
• Wild Horses
• Lookin' Out My Back Door capo 3 in C
• Evil Ways
• Gracefully Facedown
• Drift Away
• I Hear You Knocking
• Friend Of The Devil
• Heroes
• I'm Goin' Down  capo 2 g
• Pink Cadillac
• Atlantic City guitar capo 7 A minor
• The Promised Land
• Thunder Road    capo 2    Dropped D
• Mary Jane's Last Dance
• U.S. Blues
• Cecilia      capo2  G

First, the OP's question. Breaks for me are a double edged sword. I regress after a few days off to the point I don't do it anymore. If I'm learning a tune, the diminishing returns factor kicks in. resulting in me dropping it for a few weeks. In that case, when I come back to it, I'm usually better at it than I was in short amount of time.  

Man oh man, those playlists are sweet! On a side note to this side note, "Shame on the Moon" is huge fun on any guitar, but the SJ-200 and that song pair up very nicely.  

So now it's Geezer Rock instead of Classic Rock? Probably just as well. I heard an "old school sound" amp demo with riffs from '90's music this week.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:33 AM, E-minor7 said:

Hope the gig went well - and thanx a lot for the S-Cloud attention. 🪁

Sorry for hi-jacking, but would you mind sharing the Soundcloud link (here or in private), Em7?

What would be the defining age line between a true geezer and any plain old dude? Just wondering… 😄

Lars

• Like 1

I  have played in the same band for twenty years, we used to play weekly but with health and family commitments sometimes a couple of months go by before we play together again. Certainly we are very rusty and it is usually towards the end of the set that we start to sound anything like we were.

I have been recording solo for over ten years, the other day I was asked about a song, Oh! yes said I I remember that I have it recorded somewhere. Sure enough I found the recording I made nine years ago, it sounded good but  when I picked up my guitar there was no way I could play that song with either the dexterity or the speed of the recording, time has taken it's toll.   So  what I'm saying is enjoy it now as nothing lasts for ever.

13 hours ago, fretplay said:

So  what I'm saying is enjoy it now as nothing lasts for ever.

You are absolutely right. Haven't experienced any probs yet, but losing my hearing to King Frost back in 2013 isn't forgotten. Yikes, , , luckily it returned after some 5 months.  

On 10/1/2021 at 11:00 AM, Lars68 said:

Sorry for hi-jacking, but would you mind sharing the Soundcloud link (here or in private), Em7?

Thanx a lot for asking - as you know I sent you a link. Expect an answer to your answer soooon 👍. .