Gibson Brands Forums

2016 ES-335 Memphis - Value

a_sailor

My girlfriend’s dad is looking to sell this 2016 ES-335 Memphis Block. For a 2016, the hardware and finish has taken some abuse (smoking household, never in a case and has taken a couple of hits). 

I’ve seen these selling for around $3k on Reverb, but I wanted to get some opinions on how much the cosmetic wear would depreciate the value. 

Main things I see are:

-Finish cracking on neck binding. Common issue when the neck wood shrinks but I’m not sure how much, if at all, that would affect value. 

-Edges of the headstock near the nut have taken some abuse, as you can see in the pics. I don’t think it’s anything that will cause structural issues but it doesn’t look great for being a 2016. 

-Neck has some dings in the finish and there’s a couple around the body as well; albeit not very noticeable on the body. 

-Hardware and electronics definitely need a cleanup. I had to clear some cobwebs out of the f holes and the switch is a bit sticky from dust buildup. 

Any opinions on where you’d value this guitar are appreciated! Even with the cosmetic issues, it’s still a beautiful instrument and sounds incredible. 

00636CF1-3C56-487D-A9C4-1F955321AE6A.jpeg

E86DB7F2-9C65-4675-B78D-B8715C8FA153.jpeg

91685B66-88A9-46E0-B0A6-02E5ED94D8EC.jpeg

D66ED73A-BEB6-43A8-9F60-3BFEBA112599.jpeg

3BF49EF3-AE2E-4366-BF00-207042F22F47.jpeg

I’ve owned several ES Guitars including 2 ES-335’s.. One is a 2013.. I’ve never seen that Finish before? What is it?

Are the 2016’s in that condition you're seeing on Reverb is $3000 the asking price or the Selling price..

Considering a brand new ES335 can be had for $3000 & maybe even less.. I think you may be over optimistic…. You can always come down though..

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve owned several ES Guitars including 2 ES-335’s.. One is a 2013.. I’ve never seen that Finish before? What is it?

Are the 2016’s in that condition you're seeing on Reverb is $3000 the asking price or the Selling price..

Considering a brand new ES335 can be had for $3000 & maybe even less.. I think you may be over optimistic…. You can always come down though..

Thanks for the response. The finish on this is Faded Lightburst. 

I was actually surprised when I looked too but the $3k was the selling price  for ones in mint/excellent condition. (reverb has a nice filter for that). Checked again today and one sold for $3,900, which is a bit crazy considering I don’t think they even cost that much new. There’s only one listed for sale at the moment with this finish @ $3,759 but it’s a 2017. 

There are many models & all price ranges.. New prices start at $2599 & go all the way up to the Custom Shop Murphy Labs for $9600.00.

Condition is a factor. As are Pickups, Tuners, Pots, Caps, Nut & Finish, That said, it is a Sellers Market right now.  Good luck.